Chapter 25: Aqualad And Cake

Dick’s P.O.V

The steady beep of the heart monitor played over and over, almost like a rhythm. I rubbed my tired, sleepless eyes and turned to look back at Fae, sleeping soundly on the infirmary bed.

What was she thinking? She could have gotten killed! When we found her, she had lost a lot of blood and had horrifying cuts running up her legs and a deep gash in her clavicle. She was unconscious and ice cold, barely breathing.

When I…. When I saw her I thought she was dead.

From the looks of it, she wiped out about 12 acres worth of land into a giant crater. When we found her, the creature she had fought was lying unconscious. Luckily we managed to get it locked up securely before it woke up.

Whatever she did, it was something more powerful than I had ever seen, and she was just sixteen. I don’t know what, but whatever it was, it’s kept her comatose for the last five days. I didn’t go home, I couldn’t.

When I got Artemis medical attention, I called Bruce immediately and told him what Fae told me. But we went in anyways. We were trying to get there in time, but a sudden flash came out of no where, and a giant crater had formed.

We got her help just in time, any longer and she probably would have….

I don’t think I could bare to lose her, not again. How could I let this happen? I was supposed to protect her!

When I look at her now, I give a bittersweet smile. She seemed so peaceful when she slept. She was still as beautiful as ever.

I held her hand in mine, just to feel something, anything from her. Black Canary says that if she doesn’t wake up soon, she might slip into a semi-permanent coma. She might not wake up for months or years.

A dull ach formed at the top of my brow and I pinched the bridge of my nose to try and numb the pain. I breathed in a shallow breath and sat forward in my seat.

“You know, you have to go home at one point, right dude?”

I turned my head to the doorway and Wally stood against it, a sort of worried expression on his face. I simply looked back at Fae when he said that, and without looking answered.

“You would have done the same.” I said coldly.

I heard a sigh and felt him pull up a chair and sit next to me. I felt a hand on my shoulder and looked back at him with my bloodshot eyes.

“Yeah you’re right. The difference is, the girl I would be here for would punch me in the face and the girl you’re here for would only be sad.” He said.

“But it was my fault!” I burst out, “I could have stayed, been faster at saving her! I should have stopped her from going!”

And then Wally punched me.

“Wally! What the actual crap!?” I shouted.

“That was for a couple of reasons my friend. The first being that you’re holding yourself a sad little pity party, probably replaying the song ‘Get It Right’ from Glee in your head with a depressing piano background. Second, you need to look at yourself and clean up. And third? Well I felt like beating the crap out of you for not sleeping for 5 days straight. Seriously though, did you inject red bull or Starbucks into your system?” He said helping me up.

I chuckled a little at my best friend’s antics. Even if his method was a little blunt, he was right.

As much as I didn’t want to, I left to go and clean up a bit. After I showered, I headed into the kitchen to get something to eat. When I got there I was surprised to see Kaldur… baking a cake?