Chapter 39: Why Can't I Mind My Own Business?

I woke up with my signature glare at the world that said 'Touch me and loose kneecaps.' Why? Because the lovely headache that gifted itself to me when I opened my eyes was ever so gracious as to leave a trail of fucking destruction in my skull and caused it to feel like it was hit by a truck.

So yeah really feeling the aster today.

"You're awake!" I heard M'gann shriek next to me and it took all of my will power not to smack her hard enough to send her to mute.

"Ugh.... Yay?" I grunted, glaring at the harsh light of the recovery sector of the cave.

Looks like I'm back bitches.

I turned to my left to see Dick waking up on a medic bed next to me. I was baffled to see him unfazed and opening his eyes as if he just had a short power nap. Why doesn't he get a fucking migraine too!?

All jokes aside I shared a knowing smile with him. In the mindscape... I showed him everything. There was finally no more secrets between us at all.

And we knew the location the next Cronum piece.

I turned to M'gann fiercely as she looked over both of us, "What happened while I was out?"

"You were basically trapped in a strange subconscious prison hold when Lex used 'Red Sun'. We managed to defeat and capture the suspects due to everyone's input," She said gesturing to me, "I couldn't actually manage to dismantle the prison, but on the way back somehow you managed to break free."

I glanced to Dick smiling but shook the thought out of my head. As much as I wanted to be a mushy pile of teenage hormones, right now was not the time. I had other things to sort out. But before I could put my plan in action a sudden burst from the door caught my attention.

Oh no. Wally

I already have a headache. I don't need a living breathing cancerous growth right now. I know I'm being mean and Wally is truly a sweetheart for bursting in and hugging me and loudly saying how worried he was but oh my word did I want to knock him out.

'Be happy you need your kneecaps to be a hero Wally.' I voiced internally.

Another knock came at the door and at this point I exasperatedly welcomed the company. It was obvious that no one seemed to take my broodiness seriously these days dammit.

Kaldur walked into the room with a large blue and red cake in hand, the whole peanut gallery consisting of Rocket, Zatana, M'gann and Connor behind him. There goes any hush hush time for me I suppose.

"Ooh cake." I said, my natural sweet tooth kicking in, my headache momentarily forgotten "What's the occasion?"

"Not dying isn't enough?" Connor asked with a raise of a brow.

"Oh sorry, Auntie Fae is talking to the grown-ups." I threw back. I was finally back and that meant I was never going to let the fact that Connor is my nephew ever go away. Connor just groaned at the comment. Oh yeah, I'm never letting this slide.

"Well it's not too far from it actually, but there is a reason for the celebration, " Kaldur said, sharing a knowing smile with Wally and Dick, "Around the 30th December, right before New Year's the Justice league, and now the team, celebrate."

"Its to be thankful for being alive for another year, but also to honor those that have fallen in the passing year." Wally continued.

I stared at them all in awe. I had no idea the heroes did this. I guess it was just one of those things the public was never made aware of.

Looking at everyone around me I made a silent promise to myself. I thought about the Cronum and the Heathens so as I threw my hands in the air one single thing stayed in my mind.