7. Can I hear your voice?

This drawing is not really good, it's because my computer broke and we had to change the disk and re-install everything, including MyPaint. So I can't draw on my computer now.  ;-;  But I still tried. Enjoy the chapter!

Tom's POV:

I woke up, opening my eyes and looking around my room. Sun was shining through the window and was lighting up the whole room. I noticed I was still holding my phone in my hand. I checked if I got any new messages since I realized I must have fallen asleep while waiting for Tord to answer.

It looked like he also fell asleep, because the last text I got was when he said he went to grab a glass of water. I stood up, remembering that Edd and Matt went to visit Matt's brother. I rubbed my eyes and got up from my bed, still holding the phone.

PineappleBoi: Hey, you awake now?

N0RSK1635: Oh, morning.

PineappleBoi: You fell asleep?

N0RSK1635: Well yes, but actually no.

PineappleBoi: What do you mean?

N0RSK1635: I fell. Thankfully, my parents came in time. But I didn't get my water

PineappleBoi: Oh god, are you okay!?

N0RSK1635: Yeah, I'm fine. I dropped my phone, glad it didn't break. My parents brought it back to me just when you texted me

PineappleBoi: Coincidence? I think not!

N0RSK1635: Heh, exactly.

PineappleBoi: Anyway, how did you even fall?

N0RSK1635: I would rather not talk about that..

I raised my eyebrow. Everyone can be clumsy sometimes, we're just humans, we're not perfect. It felt like there was more to it, that there was something Tord wasn't telling me. And I wanted to hear it. But at the same time, it was probably nothing and I wasn't going to force him to confess something that might not even exist.

PineappleBoi: Okay then. By the way, do you know Hangouts?

N0RSK1635: No, what is that?

PineappleBoi: It's an app. A texting app, to be exact.

N0RSK1635: Oh, cool

PineappleBoi: I was just wondering if you...maybe wanted to try it?

N0RSK1635: Umm, what's wrong with Wattpad?

PineappleBoi: We can't send pictures here and we also can't call on here

N0RSK1635: ...

PineappleBoi: Are you alright, Tord?

Nobody's POV:

Tom was staring at the screen, waiting for a reply while he was making himself some toast for breakfast. Tord, on the other side, was in panic. He wasn't sure if he was ready to call him just yet.

At the same time, though, it seemed like a really good idea to him! But he just wasn't sure if he wasn't too awkward to actually talk to a living being that isn't one of his dads.

We all know he is probably just being paranoid, we wish we could calm him down and tell him to take a breath. We know he will actually enjoy it in the end. But we're powerless, he can not hear us. He never could and he never will. All we can do is watch and see how it develops and gets better along the way. We're just readers who wait for the two friends to get closer together. So now, we wait and see.

N0RSK1635: Yeah, I'm just fine.

PineappleBoi: If you say so. So, you think you're okay with texting on Hangouts?

N0RSK1635: I guess..

PineappleBoi: But you have to make an account. I already have it.

N0RSK1635: Okay. One minute

Tord instantly went on Google Play and searched for 'Hangouts'. When he saw the app, he tapped on it and installed it. He began making his account while Tom ate him toast in peace. The house was awfully quiet to him and he never liked the feeling of being alone, the sound of silence.

After Tord was done, he went back on Wattpad, instantly texting his best and only friend. His heart was beating a million miles an hour. It was a mixture of nervousness, fear, but also happiness and excitment.

N0RSK1635: I'm done.

PineappleBoi: Cool! Now hang on, I'll just give you my Gmail so we can text.

N0RSK1635: Okay.

After about ten minutes, the boys were texting on Hangouts, both sitting down and smiling at the screen, feeling their hearts beat quicker. They could hear it, hear every single beat. They knew it was a good thing, the atmosphere was tense, but somehow comforting.

The two were talking for a while, making sure everything was working and that it was really them and not some random person who they didn't know. After they made sure, they both felt like calling.

Nobody had the courage to press the 'Call' icon, though. They were both hesitating whether it was the right thing to do, they were both clearing their throats and drinking water so they wouldn't sound like a sick sack of potatoes.

Tom was the first one to build up the courage and tapped on the icon. Tord felt his body release more adrenaline as he stared at the screen which was showing 'Incoming call'. With his shaky hand, he slid his finger to the right to answer the call.

He placed the phone to his ear, not saying a word. Tom also wasn't saying anything, they were both too nervous. Tom, again, was the first one to call out. "Hello? Is...is it working?" Tord's eyes widened and he felt his face heat up. He knew his face was basically a cherry. It took him a while, but eventually, he answered.

"Y-yeah..." He peeped. The other side went silent and Tord instantly felt like he did something wrong. "Oh, hi there, Tord!" Tord took a breath, trying to calm himself down and smiled a little, his lips shaking.

"Hello, Tom.. It's nice to be able to hear you.." He said, a little bit louder than the last time, building more courage along the way. Tom grinned, already feeling more comfortable than just a minute ago.

"Yeah! You have a nice voice!" Tord blushed even more. "T-thank you.. Yours is also nice." He heard a chuckle from the other side. "I like your accent!" Tord began to relax and he layed down into a more comfortable position.

"Yeah, norwegian. You know." Tord still felt pretty awkward, but he gained certainty and Tom recognised that by his voice. They talked and talked and talked. Minutes have passed by, soon turning into an hour.

Tom was in the middle of his sentence when he heard a door open on the other side and a voice he didn't hear before. "Tord, there you are!" Tom stopped talking. "Dad! I'm busy!" Tom heard a laugh and realized that it was Tord's dad.

"Oooh, who are you calling?" "Dad!" Tom stayed silent and just kind of laughed quietly. "Come on, don't you want to come outside again?" "Daaaad!" Tom then decided to speak up. "It's okay if you want to go outside, Tord. We can call later!"

There was some mumbling from the other side, Tom couldn't understand it, he only hear a few words. He realized that they were in a different language, though. 'Maybe that's what norwegian sounds like.' Tom thought to himself when Tord snapped him out of it.

"If you don't mind. I'll be back in about an hour or so." Tom, still smiling, replied with an "Okay" and said goodbye before hanging up. Tord went outside and Tom went to watch tv. But even if they were both in different places, their minds were still travelling though the conversation they just had.

And they both enjoyed it.