27. A cold night

No one's POV:

Tom sat on his bed, staring at his bright phone screen. Covered in blankets, he listened to the rain outside. It was approximately 3 am. He was tired, but he wanted to talk to Tord, who went offline 20 minutes ago.

The blue boy sighed as he turned on a lo-fi playlist to clear his mind a little. Tord wasn't exactly happy with him. They didn't talk for what felt like ages, but Tom was so busy making plans and working. This was the first time he was going abroad and he wanted to be ready. However, he did not have much experience. Being an adult sucks.

He understood why Tord was upset. He wanted to be with him as soon as possible. And that's why Tom already booked himself a flight to Norway. It was exactly a month later and he couldn't wait to see Tord. To finally meet him and be able to hug him, kiss him...

Tom smiled at the thought. He shuddered, it was a cold evening and winter was right behind the corner. He looked at his open window and watched the curtains dance with the wind that was making its way into his dark room, but he was too lazy to actually get up and close it so he turned his attention back to his phone.

He read more about Norway, even though he's already heard most of it before. He read articles about the country pretty much every day, but he always felt like there was much more to this. He never felt ready.

Closing his tired burning eyes to let them rest for a second, he thought of him and Tord cuddling together. And he smiled.

Tord, on the other hand, sobbed softly into his pillow. He felt so lost for no apparent reason. His thoughts were telling him Tom was losing interest in him. After all, he had better things to do than talk to him. He was too busy all of the time. Why would he even make time for someone like Tord?

His thoughts consumed him, feeding on every last bit of pain that Tord was feeling. But there was also a voice in the back of his head that tried to comfort him. It told him that things were going to turn out okay, that this issue is only temporary.

Tord wiped his tears away as he looked at his open window. Breeze came in, sending chills down his spine. He was cold, it was quite a chilly night. He wanted to get up and close it, but he was too lazy...

He took a deep breath and looked at his bedsite table, right at the amethyst that his parents bought him a few days back. He reached out to it, picking it up and holding it close. He sighed, thinking of Tom.

He wished he could just go see him. To see his cute face and his warming smile. He blushed lightly and turned his lamp on. He wasn't going to fall asleep tonight. He felt like he needed to apologize to Tom. He didn't yell at him, but he did open a bottle of his emotions that he was hiding behind his back and spilled it right at Tom, only saying "I'm so sorry. I'll leave you alone." afterwards.

Tord grabbed his sketchbook and opened up a specific page full of doodles of him and Tom. He hesitantly took a photo of them and opened up their chat. Tom was still online, thank the stars. Tord sent the photos to him, apologizing to him for acting like an idiot.

He waited for a responce. One minute. Two minutes. Five. Ten. Twenty. And then, Tom went offline, not even seeing the message. Tord frowned, feeling his anxiety grabbing him and embracing him from behind. He turned off his phone and let his thoughts swirl in his head again.

He held the amethyst, his grip as firm as it could get. He focused on calming down as he stared at the mix of the different shades of purple, beautifully decorating the crystal. A small smile slowly made its way back on Tord's face. There was no need to be upset. Nor sad. He did not need to cry, right?

He hid his sketchbook, turned off the light and closed his eyes. Something made him feel calmer. Something comforted him and protected him from his negative demons that have been playing with his emotions for the past few years. And as he was falling into the astral, he felt at peace.

Unlike Tom.

Tom stared at the sketches Tord sent him. It brought tears into his eyes, both because of the fact that they both looked so happy in all of the sketches and also...Tord was always standing on his legs. Tom wished he could help, but he really couldn't.

He had nothing against Tord not being able to walk except one thing, and that was Tord himself. The way he put himself below everybody just because he was born with a disability. He couldn't blame him, of course, he could never imagine what it feels like. What pain you must go through. But he just wanted Tord to love himself as much as Tom loved him. Perfect. Whether he was walking or not.

Tom really couldn't wait any longer for the flight, but he didn't exactly have a choice. Only a month left, he could make it, right? He turned off his phone and finally got up, making his way towards the window.

He took a deep breath and stared at the sky. The fireflies lighted up the sky along with stars that seemed to shine brighter than ever before. The loud singing of crickets hiding in the grass broke the silence of the night.

He smiled to himself before closing the window and making his way back to bed. He hugged his fluffiest pillow, imagining Tord being there. And when he finally fell asleep, everything seemed much clearer. Much more peaceful and quiet. Everything just felt...right.

Every morning, he woke up, following the same boring rutine as he tried to spend more time with Tord. Time flew so fast Tom couldn't even keep up and before he knew it, the day came. He opened his eyes like every morning. Except today wasn't like every morning anymore.

He already had all his stuff packed and had everything ready. His heart beated fast, every second felt like an eternity. He couldn't wait. He couldn't believe this was finally happening. It felt so unreal. He couldn't even imagine that it was almost two years since him and Tord met.

Tears in his eyes, he put all his stuff in the car and the three were on their way to the airport. Both Edd and Matt wanted to spend as much time with him as possible so they insisted on driving him there as well.

Tom rested his head against the car window as he talked to his two housemates. Edd was crying and even Matt was close. It made Tom feel bad, he didn't want to leave his two best buddies, but he knew it won't take long before they see each other again.

As they talked, Tom stared outside at the trees passing by and he smiled. 'Hang in there, Tordy. I'm on my way.'