"Find a way to survive Kira"

Chapter 1

The cell was quiet this morning, with both mine and Octavias even breaths as we lay on our bunks. Octavia is my cell mate, thrown in here about a year ago for the same reason as me. Being born. I was twelve when I was arrested. Now my seventeenth birthday is around the corner. A year until I get floated.

Both Octavia and I sat up, hearing a loud commotion from outside our cell in the skybox. "What do you reckon thats about?" Octavia asked, glancing at me confusedly. "I dont know," I responded slowly before the door to our cell banged open. Two guards stood in the doorway, one holding a long metal box.

"Prisoners 217 and 325, stand up and face the wall." We both jumped to our feet, facing the wall like instructed. Maybe it was lunch time, not that I was hungry. "Hold out your right arms," the guard commanded. Confusion immediately took over, Octavia glancing at me worriedly.

"What is this, were not 18, we cant be floated!" I cried out turning to face the guards who both had a metal bracelets in their hands. The guards quickly grabbed hold of us, the one holding Octavia snapping the bracelet firmly on her wrist, earning a hiss of pain from the girl in question. The one holding me didn't get so lucky. I elbowed him in the gut, bringing my leg to kick him where the sun doesnt shine. I quickly punched the other guard holding Octavia and we made a beeline for the door, tumbling out of our cell to see the whole skybox in chaos.

Kids were being held by guards everywhere, all sporting the same bracelet as the one Octavia was now wearing. I know what this is. They're killing us. And without a fair trial. Octavia grasped my arm, pointing to where she saw more guards approaching. We tried to run for it, but the previous guard holding Octavia grabbed her again, whereas I ran into the person I least wanted to see today.

"Kane! What are they doing, the Ark cant do this, we haven't had a fair trial!" I cried out, trying to flail my arms, but the councilman held them in a vicelike grip, preventing me escaping. I heard the guards behind me and Octavia's struggle, but Kane held my attention now.

"Kira, youre not being floated." I stopped struggling at Kanes words. "You're being sent to the ground," Kane lowered his voice. Wait, what?

"No, the Earth isn't survivable, we won't survive," I cried. My panic covered the fact that a guard was approaching me. Before I knew it, a needle was plunged in my neck, earning a cry from Octavia. I couldn't focus anymore, the skybox was spinning. I collapsed in Kane's arms, able to hear him murmur the last few words.

"Find a way to survive Kira."

Apologies for the short chapter, but I just wanted to provide a little insight into Kira's character before the story continues. Note- she doesn't like Kane, but they both have a mutual agreement and understand one another.