"Someone who has lost everything"

The world faded from my vision as I felt myself falling. Two arms hurriedly grasped me around the waist, hoisting me up without knocking my wound. I fluttered in and out of consciousness as Clarke and Bellamy hurried me to the dropship. "Hold her leg still," I heard Clarke's muffled voice, still thick with tears. My head rolled back to see Bellamy cradling my head. "He's gone," I gasped out as the pain became too much, causing me to fall back under.

I'd been in the skybox about a month when I heard the door open. It was different than when the guards gave us our meals. The guard who had pushed the door open stood aside to let another person in. I glanced up, surprise etching itself onto my face as my brown eyes landed on Councilman Kane. "To what do I owe the pleasure?" The council had only ever looked at child criminals as people to be dispensed of. A stain in their perfect society. Kane didn't say anything straight away. He only came to the foot of my bunk, sitting down close to where my feet rested.

"How are you Kira?" is words shocked me. He held me back as my mother was floated. He had never even known about me, heck no one did and here he was asking me questions like this. "Why would someone like you care about someone like me?" My eyes locked with his, determined to figure out his motive.

"Kira, you have been hiding since you were born, you just watched your mother die. I can understa-" I cut the councilman off in a furious temper. "You don't understand Kane. You have absolutely no idea! How would you feel to be forced to hide under the bed just for existing? How would you feel to be surviving but not really living? How would you feel watching your mother die whilst someone held you back, locked in their arms? You don't know, thats the point. I may only be 13, but I know pain more than you, so don't you dare try and tell me you understand how I feel!" Hot angry tears had been leaking out of my eyes as I finished. Choking them back, I was surprised to see that Kane hadn't said anything. He had only looked down, ashamed even.

"You're right, I have no idea what its like to be you. And believe me, I wish the law were different. But it's there for the greater good of humanity and its survival." As he spoke, his hand dropped something onto my bunk, making a clunk as it dropped. I recognized my mother's moon pendent. "I understand it was your mothers. Now it's yours." Kane watched me as I picked it up, holding it close to my face to hide my tears. "Kira, did your mother ever mention your father?" I shook my head, unable to form words. Kane nodded slowly, leaving the room. It was only when I heard the door slam shut that I allowed myself to break down completely.

I shot up, screaming at the burning pain coming from my calf, my eyes wet with tears. I felt two sets of arms push me back onto the cot, whilst two others focused on my leg. In my haze, I saw Jasper and Monty by my leg with Finn and Bellamy keeping me down.

"Stop, please just stop!" I cried out, trying desperately to rip my leg from their grip.

"Kira, I'm sorry I have to." I heard Clarke's pleading just as the pain took me again. I screamed and writhed in Bellamy and Finn's grips. The last thing I saw was hazel brown eyes locked on mine as the pain took me under once more.

As I finished my last sit-up, I noted that my fifteen-year-old body had developed in the time I had been in the Skybox. Three years. The door swung open as I sat up, Octavia climbing off the bunk above mine. Kane stood in the doorway, a guard by his side. "Miss Jordan, I wish to speak to you alone. Please." Kane had a pair of handcuffs in his grip, gesturing for me to turn around, while the guard kept his steely gaze on Octavia. I turned around, allowing Kane to lock the metal bands around my wrist and guide me out of the cell.

*****

"You've grown up in three years Kira. Though I guessed you were always smart from what you told me last time I met you." His eyes flickered down to the pendent that now rested on my neck. I kept my gaze locked where my hands were attached to the table. We were sat in the mess hall in the skybox. A plate of toasted bread with jam and butter had been placed in front of me, but I had chosen not to touch. "Kira, I knew your mother. I was friends with her growing up." I shot my head up in surprise. Mom had never mentioned she used to be friends with Kane. Yet she never said a lot to me. Just tried to keep me safe. "You knew her?" Kane smiled sadly at me. "She was my best friend, we used to do everything together. Only after I joined the council, I rarely saw her. She kept herself away from me. Only now do I understand why." Kane meant me. That she had a child illegally. "You would have turned us in. People like you do," I spat. Kane leant back in his chair, carefully studying my expression before continuing. "You mean, people like your neighbors who were determined to earn more rations. If your mother had come to me, I don't know what I would have done. I don't think I could have turned her in though." My eyebrows furrowed at Kane's comment. "Did you fancy my mom?" Kane laughed nervously. "You could say that. Kira, I want to keep you safe until you turn 18. After that, I want to fight to prove you have a chance to live. Will you let me do that? I owe it to your mother." I leant forward over the table. "I don't want anything from you. If you had truly cared about my mother, you wouldn't have let her die." A crash from a few tables away startled us.

"Mr. Blake, you are not permitted to clean this area." I followed Kane's gaze to a young man, with dark hair and hazel eyes, struggling with his janitorial gear. "I apologize Councilman Kane." The boys eyes fell to mine, which cause me to turn away from him. Kane approached him. "I know you want to see her but that decision remains with the Chancellor. Until then, you must stay away." I strained to see the janitor's response who quietly nodded his head before leaving. "Who is he?" I questioned Kane as he sat back down. "Someone who has lost everything."