"We are not murderers"

"You think the grounders are going to wait around?! Get back to work!" The loud yell of Murphy caused me to jolt awake with a start. Pushing myself up, I realised that I wasn't somewhere I recognised. For one, I was in a tent, when I had been taking refuge in the Dropship. And two, I was covered in furs, making sleeping a lot more comfortable. But this wasn't my tent. Looking around, I saw a dagger on the side that I had used to practise knife throwing the time I was out hunting with the group. Bellamy's knife. And just like that, it all came flooding back.

Jasper. Atom. Wells.

"Jordan, come on, you don't need to see this." Bellamy pulled me along as more campers went to see where Well's body had fallen. I couldn't make my feet move, despite his efforts. I was frozen in shock. Bellamy stopped, grabbing my chin to look at him but I wasn't seeing anything. I couldn't focus on anything. Bellamy sighed, not in frustration, but in pity, knowing I wasnt going to move easily. His arm looped under my legs, his other supporting my back. I still didn't say anything as he walked quickly back to camp.

"Hey, what happened?" Finn's voice sounded as though it came from miles away when he was right next to us, glancing down at me worriedly. "Get Clarke," Bellamy muttered. "She's in shock."

"But what happened?" Finn pressed. Bellamy stopped, holding me tighter. "Wells is dead."

I left Bellamy's tent, holding my arms around me to come across campers bustling around, building a wall. I guess what happened with Wells really pushed everyone into working harder. "Oi!" Murphy shouted, seeing me observing camp. I stayed where I was, knowing I wouldn't be able to move fast enough to escape Murphy.

"Did the princess get some nice shut eye, while the rest of us were putting our backs out to defend the camp?" Murphy jeered. I turned away from him, too tired to deal with his shit. I began to walk away, not interested in making a scene, but Murphy grabbed my arm forcefully, getting a hold on my jacket. "Hey, were not done talking-" He was cut off when Clarke charged into him, causing me to stumble back. Before I could hit the ground, Miller caught me, pulling me off to the side. Murphy smirked at the leader, whilst I noticed that several people had just left the main tent, including Bellamy and my brother.

"What's your problem?" Murphy asked. Clarke's eyes were alighting with fire as she pulled out a small dagger. "Recognise this?" she spat. "It's my knife, where did you get it?" Murphy tried to reach for it, but Clarke was quicker. "Where you dropped it after you killed Wells." My heart dropped, remembering Wells lifeless body in the pit. I avoided the gaze of the other leader who briefly tried to gain eye contact before looking back at the suspect.

"Where I what?" Murphy questioned; his voice suddenly serious. "The grounders killed Wells, not me." Although Murphy may be an asshole, I do believe he's telling the truth. "You hated Wells," Clarke exclaimed. "Plenty of people hated him, it doesn't mean I killed him." Murphy tried.

"Tried to kill Jasper too." My feelings of sympathy quickly hardened, as Murphy cast a furtive glance in my direction. I avoided his gaze, as well as the others that were burning holes in my face. "Come on, I don't have to answer to you. I don't have to answer to anyone!" Murphy yelled, causing all the teens to back away. Well, all except one.

"Come again?" Bellamy said, his arms crossed firmly over his chest. Murphy's cocky attitude had completely disappeared. He was scared. But not guilty. I knew then that Murphy didn't kill Wells. "Bellamy, you know I didn't do this." Murphy pleaded.

"Bellamy, maybe we should-" But he cut me off. "They found his fingers with your knife." He explained. Murphy looked at me, his eyes showing panic. I tried to make him understand that I knew he wasn't guilty. A slight look of surprise shone on his face, nodding gently towards me.

"Is this the kind of society you want?" Clarke asked the crowd. With every word she said, I inched closer to Murphy, looking to shield him. "I say we float him." Connor declared. I froze, my arm wavering in front of Murphy. Bellamy saw us, me in my defensive stance over Murphy, his stare turning into a cold glare. Clarke tried to reason with Connor, but now he had the crowd onside.

"Bellamy, we are not murderers," I tried to plead. But it was too late. Murphy grabbed my arm, pulling me with him as he tried to make a run for it. He didn't get far, as someone tripped him up, throwing me backwards. Arms latched under me before I could hit the ground. "You ok?" Jasper whispered in my ear. I looked to the side, seeing Bellamy trying to hold Octavia back. I went to go forward, but Jasper held on to me. "Kira, are you crazy?!" He yelled. I didn't listen, pushing past him, diving headfirst into the crowd. If I didn't act now, someone else would die.

Coming down the hill, the sight before me made me feel sick. I saw Murphy being raised by a rope up the tree, his hands bound and gagged. Thankfully, he was stood on a box, but I wasn't an idiot. I knew what was going to happen. Upon seeing Bellamy being hounded by a hysterical Clarke, I slipped past them all, coming to stand at the front of the crowd, in front of Murphy. When Bellamy had pushed Clarke away, he turned to complete what the crowd was cheering him on to do, only to discover that I was standing in front of Murphy.

"Are you serious Bellamy? Respond to murder with murder? This isn't the Ark!" I tried reasoning with him. Bellamy didn't say anything, glancing back at Clarke struggling in Connors arms. Slowly he walked towards me. My heart lifted, thinking he was going to call the whole thing off. It was only when he got close enough, I could see the conflict in his eyes. It was the same look as that night-

"Sorry Kira."

Before I knew it, Bellamy had swung me around out of the way and kicked the box from under Murphy before I could react. Clarke charged towards him, trying to help but Connor held her back. "How could you?!" she yelled, struggling in Connors arms.

A scream escaped my lips when I saw Murphy struggling. I tried to run and cut the rope using the knife hidden in my pocket. Only Bellamy was too fast for me. He heaved me back into his chest as I tried desperately to get to Murphy. "No, let me go! Bellamy, he's not a murderer!" I tried, but with every struggle and push against him, Bellamy's grip only tightened. He started pulling me back through the crowd, until I could hear our saving grace.

"What the hell are you doing?!" Finn yelled. Oh, great timing spacewalker, really. "Cut him down." Bellamy didn't seem phased by Finn's words, but his distraction meant I had the chance to kick him in the shin before freeing Clarke of Connors grip. Connor instead chose to go after Finn, who had ran towards the tree to cut Murphy down.

"Just stop ok!" Charlotte cried from the middle of the crowd, pushing Octavia away as she spoke. "Murphy didn't kill Wells. I did!"

And in that moment, chaos ensued once more.