Chapter 18

Chapter 18 Resolve

-----
"And on the evening of his birth,

The clock strikes twelve,

Every believer rejoiced,

But those who reside in the night,

Remains in the dark.

Hoping for the light is futile.

Embrace the darkness,

Its coldness.

Its hopelessness.

Its forbidden love."

-----

"How dare you hide the truth, you traitor!" the raging purple-haired vampire was held back by his younger brother as he continuously struggled to get another hit on the man in front of him.

The calm male seated on the ground due to Kanato's punch gently touched the bruise on his cheek. It does hurt to get hurt by a fellow pureblood. His eyeglasses flew off his face due to the punch's impact, its lens broken to pieces. Beside the broken object was the neglected teddy bear of his younger brother.

'This is such a pain,' he slowly stood up, dusted his soiled vest, and picked his eyeglasses up.

Subaru and Kanato were out in the streets to see the holiday the girl had always been excited about. They had thought that it will help them ease the pain of her departure. However, everything changed once they saw the live broadcast of Kou's concert. Once they saw her with Kou.

"She was back! And you never told us! You were in the same class and you didn't-!" Kanato continued shouting, tears coming out of his sleep-deprived orbs, "We could have taken her back with us if you did! And now it's too late!"

"She's now with that stupid blond halfling!" He cried out, "Let me go! I'll kill you! I'll kill you all!"

The albino holding the enraged crybaby clicked his tongue in annoyance. In all honesty, if Kanato didn't hit Reiji, he would have done it himself. However, he somehow understand the guy's reason for hiding the truth.

First, it would lead to Kanato's tantrums. And second, it would disrupt the peace and acceptance that everyone had already come to terms after the girl's departure.

Subaru sighed. He always had to be the bigger person when he was with the girl. Now that he was being able to exercise this acquired skill, he couldn't help but feel her absence even more.

"It's her choice to leave and not return," Reiji's calculative cold voice broke the curses coming out of the purple-head, "I am not concerned with any of her business."

With that, he turned around and slowly made his way up the grand staircase.

There was no need for more words since what he said was partially true.

"... You're just a coward!"

This made Reiji halt.

...

"Maybe I am," he whispered and continued walking.

Once he was out of sight, Subaru gently let Kanato go and let him kneel on the ground.