Chapter 34

Chapter 34 Another Start, Another Fish

-----

‘Just a little bit more till the stars align to whatever path she chooses.’

-----

“And that’s the final box,” the girl concluded as her friend dropped a hefty box labeled ‘Drawing Stuff Mukami ver.'

She looked around her small studio apartment. There was the living room area that would also serve as her dining area and a kitchen large enough to fit a small fridge, kitchen counter with a sink, and a single gas stove. There’s a vacant corner where she could set up her working area. And the small room near the terrace, aka the laundry area, would be her bedroom.

“It may be small but it’s an honest apartment,” she said, imitating a country bumpkin accent. Reiji raised an eyebrow at her obscure pop culture reference as she threw a small towel towards him.

…Who hadn’t broken a sweat amidst the boxes he had to carry. He wasn’t even panting for air. He was just casually looking around the dingy apartment, trying not to look that repulsed.

“Are you even sure you’re human?” the girl asked, comparing her sweaty dirty self to the pristine Adonis-like creature in front of her.

Reiji remained expressionless aside from the slight wrinkle on his forehead.

“That’s such an absurd question,” he replied by not really replying as he draped the miniature towel on his shoulder. Even the tacky towel looked like a designer scarf over his modest black dress shirt.

“Yeah, it is,” she agreed, scratching the back of her head. She cleared his throat, “Hey, about our ruined hang out session…”

The girl awkwardly smiled at the stoic male. He replied with a small smile of understanding.

It almost made her heart melt.

But she remembered Kou’s melancholic face as he smiled at her.

She sighed, looking away from Reiji.

“Sorry,” she said.

She was sorry for many things. Sorry for ditching him. Sorry for being undecisive. Sorry for existing… The list goes on. And it was all her fault. She had always been weak. Why had she become even weaker?

“No, I did not find offense as long as you got home safe,” the gentle voice behind her cut her train of thought.

He was too understanding.

Too understanding that she wants to cry.

It provides her comfort but at the same time, it made her feel a sense of burden. She knew that she should stop treating her friend this way. 

‘I need to give him a proper response.’

“Reiji. Graduation,” she said, looking at him once again. She smiled, “I’ll give you the answer you deserve.”

The violet-haired male visibly gulped at her bold proclamation.

"I know that I'll keep postponing giving you an answer unless I make a deadline for it," she said, "You deserve more than that."

Reiji blinked, still unable to speak.

All the information dumped to him that night flashed in his mind like a broken record.

The perfect Eve.

He opened his mouth to speak but was disrupted as a gentle knock resonated against the entrance door.