Where The Mind Is Without Fear

Sumedh drove through empty roads which were still wet because of rain. He was constantly checking time. After driving for half an hour he reached his destination.

"Must be this bungalow." He said to himself and stepped out of the car.

He walked towards the gate. Dogs in the house were continuously barking, disturbing the eerie quietness of night.

For Sumedh's surprise, the guard was wide awake at this hour of night. He was looking shocked. Sumedh came under a piller of light and guard saw him.

"Main Sumedh Mudgalkar hoon.. Mujhe Desai uncle se milna hai.." He said.

"Desai saheb ko police arrest karke le gayi.. Unke sath unke 2 bete bhi arrest hue.. Ab ghar me bas bacche hai aur aurate.. " Guard answered while opening the gate for him.

Sumedh was shocked. "Unhe bhi arrest kiya.. Mere ghar me bhi sabko arrest kar liya.."

"Shayad aap ghar me kisi se milna chahe.. Sab log jage hue hai.." Guard said.

Sumedh nodded and walked inside the house. He saw a typical house with a little hanuman mandir and tulsi vrindavan on entrance.

He saw a women in her late 50s sitting on sofa. Her gaze was fixed on floor. Sumedh recognised her. She was Mrs Desai. Her husband was arrested a few minutes ago and now Sumedh was there with his problem. He felt bad and decided to turn back. But she called him. "Sumedh"

Sumedh stopped. She came forward.

"I knw what you are going to say.. Everyone is getting arrested." She said.

"What do you mean by everyone?" He asked.

"People in opposition.." Mrs Desai answered while signalling him to sit down.

Sumedh remembered his mother saying that people from opposition will be arrested.

Sumedh sat on sofa.

"They arrested everyone from your family too, didn't they?" She said.

Sumedh just nodded.

"Aise muh banake mat baitho.. Abhi toh shuruvat hai.. Aagey bahot kuch hoga.. Don't loose your strength at any cost.. Be strong.. We have to fight this.." Mrs Desai handed him a glass of water.

Sumedh gulped it in a second. Mrs Desai felt bad.

"Ghar jao beta.. Apna ghar kisi bhi haal me chhodke mat jana.. At least abhi kuch dino ke liye toh nai.. Just think that you are the king and your house is your fort and now you have to defend it from being invaded" She caressed his hair.

Sumedh didn't understand anything. But one thing perfectly stuck in his mind that he have to be strong enough to face the worst days which were coming.

******

Vihaan was shocked after listening about emergency. Now he understood why Sumedh's family was suddenly arrested.

"For our country's own good.. For our motherland we have to take this step.." Gurmeet said. "What say Vihaan?"

Vihaan came out of his trance.

"Sir.." He started but Gurmeet stopped him. "I am your family friend Vihaan.. You are like my son.. At least yaha toh yeh formality mat karo.."

Vihaan smiled. "Uncle.. Emergency toh government ka plan hai. Why are we involved? Also Didn't they consider option of mid term elections?"

Vihaan waited for his answer. Gurmeet took a big pause.

"We will consider elections of course.. But not now.. We will wait for sometime under emergency.. Trust me emergency will make everything clear. "Gurmeet answered.