हड़ताल

Sameeksha looked at herself into mirror and startled. She felt a sense of unease on her spine. Her skin was pale and her eyes were going deep inside. Skin around her eyes was black. She refused to believe the reality. It was not her reflection. How can it be? Zero confidence. No smile. No shine in eyes. It was not her reflection at all. She turned her back towards mirror.

Sameeksha wanted to cry but her eyes refused to weep. Everyday people around her were getting more and more depressed. Their families were scattered throughout the country. Some were dead and some were forced to run away. No one was sure about the whereabouts of their families. Not even Sameeksha.

What if her whole family was dead? Ranveer, His parents, his brother? Sameeksha's parents? Where were they? Were they safe? Were they alive? There was no way for her to find out. There was no news of Ranveer. The very thought of living her life without Ranveer made her sick. She firmly believed that he is alive and well.

"Wo thik hai. Ranveer thik hai." She said loudly.

Vidhi Mudgalkar was standing next to her. She was also looking depressed and ill.

"Sumedh bhi thik hi hai" Vidhi said.

"Jaroor" Sameeksha said.

Sameeksha saw Vidhi applying vermillion on her hair partition. She thought for a second and said "Can I have it?"

Vidhi was surprised but she gave her the bottle of vermillion. Sameeksha took a pinch and applied it on her partition.

"Aapko kabhi sindur lagake dekha nahi hai" Vidhi said.

"Abhi filhaal main kuch bhi karne ko tayyar hoo jisse mere man ko baar baar yeh ehsaas hota rahe ki Ranveer jinda hai" Sameeksha answered.

"Aap phir bhi lucky hai ki kisi bacche ko piche chhod ke nahi aayi hai"

Sameeksha felt knot in her stomach. Vidhi was right. What about those thousands of children who were alone out there?

She remembered this thought crossing her mind a few months back. She felt very ashamed. Ashamed of her selfishness. How she forgot about others who were suffering more than her? The ones who were out and were being slaughtered.

Sameeksha again looked into mirror. She saw determination in her eyes. With same determination she came out of her cell and stood in middle of the open ground.

Jailer and other jail mates were confused. Sameeksha sat down.

"Kya ho raha hai?" Jailer asked.

"Jab tak bahar hamare gharwalo ki, baccho ki hatya band karne ka promise army nahi deti tab tak main yahi baithi rahungi. Bina kuch khaye piye. Aise hi" Sameeksha declared.

Everyone was shocked. Jailer took a minute to progress what was going on and then she started laughing.

"Accha hai. Jitne log iske sath dharne pe baithoge utna hi kam khana banana padega. Waise bhi ab tum log asli kaidi ban chuke ho. Government nahi hai to tum logoki special treatment band. " Jailer said.

Sameeksha was silently listening to her. Women were already joining her.

****

Ranveer was feeling uneasy. He was missing his family. Especially Sameeksha. Aarushi saw him sitting in garden and went there.

"I know It's hard. I also miss my dad" She sat beside him.

Ranveer scoffed "Of course you miss him. That's why you're in love with his murderer"

This felt like a dagger stabbing her heart. She took a deep breath.

"Ranveer. You have to understand one thing. My father was my only family. He's dead. He died for me. He died for people of this country. He died working for this country." Aarushi said.