twenty five | friends

His eyes widen and he shifts so I can sit on the couch instead of on his legs. "What? I'm going to kill him," he growls.

"It's okay. It's not a big deal," I say and shrug. I'm hoping that he exposes himself since Jamie wouldn't say anything.

"It's not...?" he asks, and an unreadable expression forms on his face. "So you don't care?"

"I mean..." I pretend to hesitate. I don't know what he is talking about, so I don't want to say the wrong thing and hurt him or something.

"Are you going to do anything about it?" he questions.

"Should I?"

He moves closer to me, so close that our legs are touching. He leans forward and looks deeply into my eyes, almost making me forget what I'm thinking about.

His eyes are brown, and most people don't think brown eyes are beautiful, but they are. It makes him look so kind and vulnerable, and from years of knowing him I can say that deep down he truly is.

Under the ego, the manwhore nature and the whole front he puts on at university, there is a softie with the biggest heart.

"You should," he whispers.

"What do you want me to do?" I ask.

"I..." he begins. I lean closer, waiting to hear what he has to say. He throws an arm over my shoulder. "I want you to stop lying. Jamie told me you were trying to get him to tell you everything. You ain't slick."

I groan and block my face with my hands, feeling like an idiot. Of course Jamie would tell him. Why didn't I think about that?

"But there is something, then. Something you're hiding," I state.

"Aren't we all hiding something, though? Something we don't think people should know?" he says.

"Something that could ruin everything," I add in understanding. He nods, looking down at me with a smile.

"Something that might just hurt someone that you really care about," he continues.

"Do you know?" I ask. The things he is saying make it seem like he knows exactly what I am talking about.

"Know what?" he asks.

Shit! "Uh, t-that I... like you," I finish and mentally punch myself in the face.

"What?" he looks shocked.

Eh, I might as we'll go with it now. What's the worst that could happen?

The last time I asked myself that question was right before I murdered someone, so... Could it really be worse than that?

He stands up and is really quiet for what feels like forever. My heart is racing in anticipation. Maybe if he rejects me and tells me how little I mean to him, I'll care less about what happens to him if I go to jail.

No, I'd still care way more than I should.

He is facing away from me, but I hear him ask, "What are you?"

"An egg," I state.

"What?" He spins around to face me.

"What answer were you expecting? You think I am some kind of assassin? I mean, that would be cool. I could be all like..." I stand up and do some really bad karate moves. "Hayaaa." F*ck. F*ck. F*ck. Shut the f*ck up, Bree.

"I like you, too," he says all of a sudden.

Well that definitely shuts me up. "You mean, as a friend?"

"No, I have liked you for years and I never had the guts to tell you because I thought you would hate me. You only saw me as a friend so I left it. When we were on that Ferris wheel for your birthday four years ago, I told you I loved you and you thought I meant as a friend, and it killed me. I thought that when I finally told you, it would change everything, but it didn't.

"I couldn't take it after that. That's why I left. I couldn't look at you without thinking about what it would be like to kiss you. Then last night I kissed you and it felt like the entire world stopped, you know? It felt like you and I were the only people in the universe for a moment. I knew there was something between us but I didn't think you'd actually ever like me back."

He spills everything to me and I stand with my jaw hanging on the floor. He has felt like this for years? How did I not notice? He loved me?

I felt it, too, last night. There is no doubt that there was more than a spark when we kissed in his room yesterday. I didn't want it to end.

"You've felt this way for four years?" I ask. "Elijah, I didn't know..."

He smiles softly and shakes his head. "I have felt this way for more than four years. I have liked you since the day I realized cooties weren't real. The way your hair smelt like coconut and how you would steal my lunch but then feel bad and share it with me." He laughs. "I shouldn't have liked you — I shouldn't have even been friends with you — but I did. I love you."

I have absolutely no idea what to say. I shouldn't have brought feelings into this, especially when I don't know what is going to happen to him or me. Yet again, I have made an extremely bad decision.

Whoops.

"Um, I... Uh... You, uh... The..." I've never been this speechless in my entire life.

"You don't have to say anything. I just had to tell you because I have kept it in for years. When you said you liked me, it just... sorry. I can't believe I said I love you. Is it too soon? I mean, I've known you since kindergarten, but it feels like it is too soon."

"I... I mean, we both like each other, but I don't want to ruin what we have." Wow, what a stupid excuse. "Is it cool if we stay friends?"

I think it's a bit late for that, the annoying voice in my head tells me.

"Um... Yeah, okay, sure..." He nods. "Friends."

•<•>•

Happy New Year!! Can't believe I've been on this app since 2015. It's been one hell of a ride but I'm so grateful that I've got you guys, my amazing readers <3

Can you guys please do me a favour and go like my recent post on Instagram (@laylaawrites)? It would make me suuuuuper happy :)

I've got two more updates for you guys and I'm posting them soon. Stay tuned.

T w i t t e r : xPineappleGirlx
I n s t a g r a m : laylaawrites
Y o u t u b e : xThePineappleGirlx

Lots of love and jelly tots - xThePineappleGirlx