"Why Does It Hurt So Much?"

A few weeks later. At Nate's work. 

I was visiting Nate at his internship

I was visiting Nate at his internship. He and i have gotten pretty close over past weeks. We both went through a break up we kinds know what the order one was going through and that made us stronger.

Nate was on the phone "Thank you, councilman. I know my cousin appreciates your support. yes, i'll be sure and tell him. Thanks"

then he hung up. 

Me "When did Tripp decide to run for Congress? And should somebody tell him the election is not until next year?"

Nate "Well, after Congressman Kruger died, a House seat opened up in Manhattan. You know Grandfather: "why wait?""

I smiled "well, it's nice of you to help"

Nate nodded "Mm. Well, Tripp's a good guy. And with the Buckleys buying attack ads against his campaign ..i'm taking it kind of personally"

I nodded "Yeah. Have you spoken to Bree lately?"

He shook his head "No. you spoken to Carter?"

I shook my head "No. I 've left him a dozen messages, tho. i don't know if he's mad at me, or.."

Nate "Well, Flavia, that's why i called"

I looked at him confused. 

Nate "Supposedly, the Buckleys are flying him out to Galveston so he can work off his debt"

I asked confused "work it off how?"

Nate "On one of the family oil rigs"

Me "That's crazy. It would take him 20 years to earn that money"

Nate "They're getting Carter to the Gulf with a bunch of Texas roughnecks. It's not like he's gonna be making a lot of friends"

I froze amused "you're joking, right? It's lame joke, Name"

He sighed "i wish i was. But don't worry, i have an idea"

then he put his jacket on and we walked out.