31: As Always

◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥

◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥

On the bright side, Hana thought as she walked into work Monday morning, was Namjoon probably wouldn't have any issues giving her a new partner. If she were lucky, she'd be placed with Taehyung again, and her days at work would return to normal. Most importantly, she'd once again be excited to come back to work, because the person she would be spending the most time with would be the person who treated her with the most compassion. 

Instead, she'd be spending the entire day with the same man who had stood her up after asking her out on a date. 

Tired of feeling as if she were letting these boys walk all over her, she decided to direct her anger towards Jungkook instead of blaming herself somehow. For years, she'd always managed to find a way to take responsibility for other peoples actions and take it out on  herself, successfully becoming a tattered doormat. So, when she walked in, she decided to take on Jungkook's signature coldness.

As it turned out, Jungkook had the same exact plan. 

"Should I even bother asking?" Hana squared off when she placed her bag down. The corners of her mouth pulled down in a subtle frown, and her arms crossed over her chest. 

"About what?" Jungkook grumbled, not bothering to look up from his computer. 

"About why you stood me up. Again," Hana barely noticed his shoulders slumping ever so slightly, as she also focused on her black computer monitor. Though it was powered off, it provided her with a safe space so she didn't have to face the man in front of her. As always, and without fail, being near him upended any intentions she had of acting coldly towards him. 

As always, and without fail, she just wanted to understand why she wasn't good enough. 

"I don't know," he shrugged nonchalantly, which Hana only saw from the corners of her eyes. Her face flushed, aside from her cheeks, which burned a deep red from embarrassment, "I guess I just didn't feel like going." His answer crushed her more than she anticipated, and truly left her speechless.

Tears burned her eyes, threatening to pool up and spill from how ashamed she felt for allowing herself to catch feelings for such a shameless asshole. Even worse, she kept allowing him to do this to her. 

Instead of giving him any reply, she tried to retain at least some of her dignity and turned her cheek towards him as she unpacked her stuff for work. Although his words stung, she couldn't allow her job to suffer because of how she felt, so she pretended as if he weren't even there so she could at least attempt to focus.

It had still been unclear to Hana why she had ever even been repartnered with Jungkook in the first place. Yoongi had said the decision had been made over his head, however, she had every right to doubt that Namjoon would have partnered them together. She'd always questioned the decision, and who made it, but on days like these she couldn't help but wonder more than usual.