38: Absent

◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥

◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥

"Wow," Rina pursed her lips before the disappeared behind a Starbucks cup, sipping on the steaming hot liquid, probably so she didn't say something she'd regret. Hana had finally opted to tell her everything that happened, leaving out a few key details to maintain Jungkook's privacy.

The two girls sat together at the boardwalk Jungkook had brought Hana to on their first date; not because she hoped to see him or relive the memories from that day, but because the view of the ocean truly was beautiful. While Hana preferred the beach in the summer, there was something about the water as the weather transitioned into winter that made it's beautiful invaluable. 

The hot chocolate Rina had brought only made the moment even better. 

"I'm not sure what to do," Hana admitted, still feeling absolutely defeated over what happened yesterday, "Do I just let him go?" She knew she should be walking away right now, but every good memory with him was like cement on her feet, keeping her from leaving. 

"Maybe it's a dead end," Rina suggested, confirming what Hana already knew. "You deserve so much better. Or maybe you're the one breaking these men; first Namjoon, now Jungkook?" Hana knew her friend was only joking, but she couldn't help but notice the coincidences between all two men she's dated. 

"If Taehyung had said something nasty to you, would you be able to walk away?" Hana asked softly, wondering if she was the one that didn't have the self appreciation she was supposed to have. She'd always been so strong and independent, what happened? 

"I mean, I'm in love with him. I love him," Rina leveled. It was true, the couple had been together for years, there was a stark difference between Taehyung and Rina compared to Jungkook and Hana. Plus, Taehyung would never say something like that. 

Hana's eyes dropped to the ground, examining the rogue pieces of sand from the beach scattered around her feet. She hated coming to terms with her feelings, but it was a vital part into why she couldn't just leave. 

"Hana, are you..." 

"Falling," Hana established firmly before Rina could finish her question. At least she'd be able to tell one person before she tried to move on. "And tomorrow, I have to go into work and sit next to him all day and try to act like everything is fine. I can't stop imagining how he's going to act, but I have the foreboding feeling he's going to be indifferent, like what we had didn't even matter to him." 

"It's okay to hurt," Rina promised, placing a small hand on Hana's shoulder, "If you're being hard on yourself because you're falling for somebody who hurt you, it's not like it's your fault or you did something bad. The heart does what it wants, which means you just need to let it hurt and heal when it needs to." 

"I'm not sure if you know this, Rina," Hana began her sarcastic remark, eager to deflect because her friend was absolutely right, "But the heart is literally just an organ. It's primary function is to pump blood throughout the body."