Holding Back

Amber's Pov:

Layla, the sarcastic, fun, but sweet seven year old took me by surprise as I once again laughed at another one of her jokes.

She had that natural humor in her.

Like, you know how some people aren't that funny, but they try really hard to be and it almost comes out as annoying in a way?

Well, that is the exact opposite of Layla.

She was just so happy, and free spirited, that I nearly forgot about where we were.

...

A hospital room.

I tried not to think about it, I really didn't.

But her positiveness just really threw me off.

I didn't understand how such a person could be like that if they were stuck in a place that made you feel isolated, alone, different...

Sick.

And then, thinking back to how Damien has been coming here for years, and she was the reason he was here, made my heart start to swell in my chest as thoughts of what she must have been through consume me.

As she talked, joked, and played around with us, I picked up on the little things.

She winced.

She scrunched up her nose...

She squeezed her eyes shut...

She bit her lip...

She squeezed the sheets...

In Pain.

But even then, even through the pain, she would smile.

I didn't say it out loud, but she must have been the strongest seven year old I had ever seen.

To be at such a young age and learn to smile even through pain...

It really amazes me.

"Damien, you need to bring her more often, she's more fun than you!" Layla grins, as Damien ruffles her hair.

I laugh as Damien looks up at me with a pouty face, as Layla complains about her now messed up hair.

"You messed up my hair!" She whines as Damien looks back at her and grins.

"Sorry, who did you say was more fun again?"

She pauses, looking at me as I sat beside her on her bed, while Damien was standing but on the other side of Layla.

"Amber~..." she sings as Damien let's out a sigh and sits down on the chair, leaning back in defeat.

Layla and I giggle to one another at Damien's look of annoyance.

But I could tell that he really wasn't annoyed. When she wasn't looking, he would smile to himself. Even when they were being just like normal siblings, teasing one another, I think he cherished those moments.

She was his sister, he loved her.

Damien sighs again causing us to giggle even more until suddenly the door opens and in walks one of the nurses.

Her eyes travel from Layla to Damien without any falter. As I assume she was used to seeing Damien in here.

But then her eyes travel to me, a sense of shock, and surprise. But the kind smile of the nurse covered up her surprised face as she stops right in front of the bed.