THE VISIT

3  | THE VISIT

"MIA? MIA!" Her boss' gravely voice pierced through her head. The young officer tore her gaze away from the infamous mafioso and looked at the older man with wide eyes. What he had said had frightened her to the core. Her hands trembled and her lungs and heart felt like they were about to give her an asthma attack. Her boss gripped her shoulders, turning the young woman to look at him. "Mia, are you okay?" He asked, concern dripping of his words. However, Mia couldn't even answer. She stood there in shock, trying to force the thoughts sprinting laps around her brain into a cohesive sentence. Chief Jackson smacked his lips together in exasperation and slammed the door, locking it.

"Mia? Are you okay?" He repeated. "Did the Don try anything?"

Mia gulped and blinked, her thoughts finally morphing into coherent ideas. "Sir I'm-" she cut herself off to clear her throat and blink. "I'm fine." Her boss shook his head and glared at the now locked door. "Bullshit! I saw how you were staring at him. Did he threaten you?"

Mia blinked before pulling away from her boss. "I'm feeling a little lightheaded, can I go home?" She asked, her voice barley above a whisper. She didn't make eye contact with the older man. All she could think about is how she needed to lie down. Chief Jackson stared at the young woman for a few seconds before retreating his hands off her shoulders. He cleared his throat.

"Yeah, that would be for the best wouldn't it." He said, framing the sentence more likes statement than a question. The young woman nodded before the chief led her out.

Back at her desk sat Sam, his feet on her desk and her food and drink in hand. "About time, I've been waiting for-" the blonde saw the look on her face and immediately stopped talking. "Mia?"

"Can you take me home tonight?" She asked, not wanting another person to ask her if she was alright. All she needed was a little rest. The promiscuous man knitted his eyebrows together. "What about your car?"

She didn't feel safe going home at this time of night by herself. After what the Don had said, she was scared that one of his men might pop up in her back seat or something. "Questions later, please?"

The ride home was relaxed. The two officers made laid back chatter on the way back to Mia's house. He never ended up asking about why she had looked so spooked, and she was grateful for that.

"—and then she screamed. Moral of the story, don't try to eat honey out of a girl's pu–"

"Sam! I asked why there was ice cubes in my drink!" Mia laughed. She didn't know why he insisted on telling her about his sex shenanigans, but the stories were always funny. The male let out a few chuckles before pulling up to Mia's apartment complex. Mia sighed and took her drink from out of the cup holder. She turned to face the man who took her home and smiled. "Thanks, Sam." The male gave her a dimples grin. "No problem."

Mia turned to leave but was halted by the males voice. "And Mia?" She turned to him and hummed.

"If there's anything wrong, you have my number. You know I'll pick up." He assured her, his deep blue eyes unwavering. Mia looked at the male for a few seconds before smiling again. "Yeah," she agreed. "Thanks." She pushed open the passenger side of his car and stepped out. It was a really nice car, actually. A sleek angel white Ford Fusion. He had taste.

"Aww, no kiss?" Sam said, faux hurt in his voice. Mia didn't turn around as she walked towards her abode. "Fuck you." She said jokingly. She heard his car pull off as she walked to her apartment. She rests her fingers in her temple as she unlocked the door.

Inky darkness met her, the coolness of her apartment licking the skin that wasn't covered in clothes. Mia stepped inside her apartment, a deep sigh leaving her throat. She no doubt smelled like sweat. She dropped the styrofoam cup on the small table next to her door and went deeper inside her home.