THE FAMILY REUNION II

twenty-one. | THE FAMILY REUNION II

TIME SEEMED TO SLOW DOWN AS the two men stared at each other. Mia could barley believe her eyes. She recalled Ambrogino calling his baby sister something along those same lines, not to mention the familiar look this 'Achille' had was because of the Don. She didn't know why she couldn't acknowledge it sooner. Achille And Ambrogino were brothers. The sentence itself sounded foreign, almost as otherworldly as the most violent man she knew's eyes softening. She had so many questions. Ambrogino was known throughout the streets of Brooklyn, New York City, basically anywhere that was anywhere. Even kids knew to stay away from him—but that begs the question, why hadn't she, or anyone else on the force, or the people of Brooklyn for that matter, heard of Ambrogino's blood brother?

Achille sighed, running his hands through his messy hair. "I'll go get dressed." He spoke, hesitation noticeable in his tone of voice. A few moments later, the door was closed, leaving Mia and Ambrogino alone. She blinked at the larger man, her eyes filled with confusion and surprise.

"You have a brother?" She whispered, as if it was sacred information. The Don glanced at her, his eyes growing hard again. "Si." He replied, fixing the end of his suit sleeves. Mia continued to look at the male, expecting some sort of explanation. Ambrogino glanced at her again, irritation already starting to seep into his face. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

"How come no one knows you have a brother? There are no records of him or anything."

His response was ominous in meaning, yet he said it with a cool tone of voice, like he was discussing his day.

"Because I made sure everyone thought he was dead."

The ex-officer's eyes widened. Did she hear him correctly? Was his brother such a big deal that he had to fake his death? Furthermore, by the looks of it, they didn't have the best relationship. For a mafia that preaches 'Blood is thicker than water' like the gospel, his relationship wasn't the best with his siblings. The woman wondered why. Sure, the Don was arrogant, mean, violent and an all around asshole, but did that really deter his relationship with his family? Mia opened her mouth to voice her questions when the door finally opened. Achille's bars torso was now covered with a v-neck white shirt, and a little silver chain identical to the one that she recalled Ambrogino wearing once.

He closed the door behind him and locked it. It wasn't long until his eyes landed on her. Achille looked her up and down slowly before licking his lips. He was an attractive man, she gave him that. She felt her face heat up as she gave him a small smile.

"Well, well, well, who do we have here?" He mused, a smirk forming on his face. Jeez, the Benventi brothers had the same charm. He put his ring clad hand out to shake. Her hands were completely covered by his larger ones, and unlike his brother's, his skin was warm. It threw her off, being used to the Don's cool skin. "What's your name, little lady?" Mia internally cringed, Faldo flashing in her head.

"Mia." She said simply. Achille rubbed the pad of his thumb against her skin, his eye contact not wavering. "Mia." He repeated, his smirk widening.

"You already have a woman in that apartment and here you are trying to hit on another one." The Don said lowly, breaking Mia from the intense trance that was Achille's eyes. He narrowed his eyes at his brother. "I can't say I'm surprised."

Achille turned and faced the Don. "Cockblocking as always, fratello." (brother.) He raised his perfect eyebrow at his brother. "You're lecturing me, but when have you ever been loyal to just one woman?" He paused, looking between the smaller woman and the Don. Mia wasn't surprised. She knew that the Don was a promiscuous man.