THE AFTERMATH

7 | THE AFTERMATH

"WHAT AN IDIOT." Mia turned to the side to see the Don's sister looking in the compact mirror.

"Idiot? Aren't you upset that you won't ever get to see your brother again?" She asked in disbelief. We're all his family members as uncaring as his sister?

She put the mirror anyway before smiling at the young officer. "Oh come on. We both know Gino's not going to stay in jail." She mused, brushing a black strand out of her face. "He couldn't even contain that smirk of his. Now everyone is going to think he is a psychopath who actually wants to go to jail." The young officer blinked. Wasn't he?

"I never did get your name, traitor." She said, looking at her with amusement.

"Why do you keep calling me traitor?"

"What else would I call a made man's daughter who went to the side of the angels?" She laughed, as if that conclusion was obvious. How on earth did she know? And did by angels did she mean police? If so, how did she know she was an officer?

Both of the girls heard Aria's name being called by a masculine voice. They both turned to it.

"Damn, I can't have two seconds of peace before Tony screams his head off lookin for me." She rolled her eyes before turning to Mia.

"We'll meet again. Ciao." Without another word, the slender woman stood up before walking towards her family.

Mia blinked in confusion. What was she doing here? Why did she let the Don force her to come? She shook her head before heading out towards the exit.

"Officer," a different voice came this time, from behind her. The accent was not Italian, but... Russian?

Mia froze, before slowly turning around to face the hat wearing man from the courtroom.

"The Don, is he really going away?" The voice was deep and gravelly. The large man stood over the young woman, trapping cigar smoke in his scent.

"Y-Yes," she cursed herself for stuttering. There was just something about this guy that put her off. "He got a life sentence, so he won't be going anywhere anytime soon." She reassured him. She wasn't stupid, she knew this man was part of the Russian mafia. The Italian family and Russian family had been going at each other for decades now. Why else would a member of the Russian mafia want anything to do with the Don of the Benvettis? Perhaps he was here to rub salt in the brute's wounds.
He took a step towards her, his ebony fedora blanketing his upper facial features. All Mia could get from his looks was that sadistic smirk that sat on his thin lips.

"You see, me and my colleagues were scared shitless to have him on the street," he said in a sickly sweet tone, sarcasm dripping of his words. "Yes, I was practically shaking in my suit."

Mia stared to feel uneasy. "Yes, well. That's over now." She said awkwardly. She started to inch away from the mysterious male. She cleared her throat before walking backwards towards the exit.

"If that would be all," she said lowly before turning around and scurrying to Adriano's car. The Italian male clearly had more time that he knew what to do with. He sat in the car, trying to balance a fucking pen on the tip of his nose. Mia shook off the eccentricity of what she just saw before knocking on the window. Adriano quickly looked at her, which caused the pen to fall. He cursed and frowned before unlocking the doors. She slid in, craning her neck to see if the Russian male was still looking at her, but he was gone. The young officer sighed before turning to Adriano.