eighteen.

Taehyung sank to his knees in front of the alter, ignoring the pain in his bones at the impact.

He was glad it was empty, no other soul in sight.

In that moment Taehyung didn't try to hold back his sobs, letting them out freely. 

He wanted to scream his lungs out, but the only sounds that escaped him were pain filled whimpers.

"Please God," he cried, his bottom lip quivering uncontrollably.

"Take this pain away." He sobbed, staring up at the painting of Jesus Christ on the cross.

Hot tears rolled down his cheeks but it felt so good to just let go.

"I can't take it anymore." He grabbed at his heart.

Images of his father cursing him and telling him he's a sinner flashed through his mind. The way he never seemed happy regardless of what Taehyung did.

The way he punished him and locked him in his room for no reason made him cry even harder, feeling like a failure of a son.

"I-I need a sign, please I-" he begged desperately, vision blurry with tears.

"Taehyung."

He heard his name echo throughout the church, making him whip his head sound.

Jungkook stood in the back of the church looking around confused before he ran down the aisle towards the broken boy.

The sound of his heavy shoes hitting the floor sounded so loud in Taehyung's ears.

He felt relief fill his body at the sight of Jungkook there with him.

When the male finally reached him, he gently squatted down and placed his hands under Taehyung's arms, hosting him up.

"Come on get up." He whispered softly as Taehyung slowly got up off his knees.

Jungkook didn't want to focus on the dozens of sacramentals all staring down at him. He focused solemnly on the boy in front of him.

Taehyung pressed his face into Jungkook's chest, sobbing his little heart out as Jungkook quickly wrapped his arms around his body.

Jungkook's heart broke the second Taehyung screamed into his chest; the sound extremely muffled but still there.

"Shh, let it all out." He whispered, rubbing small circles on the smaller boy's back.

"He hates me." He cried, staring up at Jungkook with blotchy cheeks.

"Trust me, nobody can hate you." Jungkook took it upon himself to gently wipe away the boy's tears with the pad of his thumb.

"I-It's like no matter what I do, he gets upset with me. I'm a bad son." He sniffled.

"Tae, that's not true. Any parent would be so lucky to have someone like you as their son. You're... perfect."

Jungkook gently cupped the boy's cheeks with both hands, feeling Taehyungs breathing begin to even out.

There was something about the smaller boy's tears that made Jungkook's heart hurt.

Perhaps it was because someone like Taehyung didn't deserve to shed a single tear.

Or perhaps it made him want to hurt whoever made the angel in front of him upset.

"Let's sit for a bit, okay?" Jungkook suggested, guiding Taehyung to sit in the first row of benches.

"Okay." Taehyung breathed.

"What can we do to get your mind off things?" Jungkook spoke softly.

It was silent for a moment before Taehyung croaked out, "I-I usually read my Bible... I don't want to read a-anymore." 

Jungkook frowned, realizing that the pastor's actions really hurt Taehyung enough to make him want to stay away from his Bible.

"And you don't have to. Is there anything else you can do?" 

"... I like to pray the Rosary." He slowly pulled out the beaded necklace out from under his shirt.

He removed it from his neck gently, fingertips shaking.

"Okay let's do that." He encouraged, watching with curious eyes as Taehyung grabbed the wooden cross from the necklace with his hand.

Taehyung breathed in deeply before starting, "In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen."

Jungkook watched fascinated as Taehyung did the sign of the cross, his lashes fluttered shut.

His head was slightly bowed, making Jungkook do the same.

"I believe in God, the Father Almighty..." Taehyung began softly, focusing on his prayer.

He was too focused that he almost missed the moment Jungkook slowly laced their fingers together. 

He carried on as if nothing had happened, but that didn't mean he wasn't fully aware of the warm hand in his, providing him with comfort and a sense of security.

Jungkook closed his eyes shut as well, listening to Taehyung's sweet voice reciting the prayers.

In his mind, he had no idea what they meant or what they represented but if it brought Taehyung peace and joy, then he would sit there and accompany him.

Because whether Taehyung knew it or not, God did give him a sign, in the form of a troubled boy named Jeon Jungkook.