thirty one.

Two weeks had gone by since Jungkook found out about Taehyung's punishments.

They hadn't talked about the topic since, both knowing how upset Jungkook would get at the reminder.

But that didn't mean he wouldn't ask Taehyung how he was feeling every day when he walked him home after school.

Taehyung's wounds had since healed, but still left behind a few scars along the way.

He never told his mother about what had happened, staying quiet when she asked why his father was glaring at him during dinner.

And like always, she assumed it was Taehyung provoking the pastor's reactions and making him angry.

She would just sigh sadly, hating how her husband and son couldn't get along.

It was a Friday evening when Taehyung went by the bakery for some sweet bread.

He smiled widely when the bell rang over his head and he saw Jimin standing behind the counter ringing up a customer.

"Thank you so much Mrs. Jung have a wonderful evening!" Jimin spoke as the woman made her way out of the bakery.

It was now empty with the exception of Jimin and Taehyung.

"Hey Tae!" Jimin spoke cheerfully as the small boy grabbed a tray.

"Hey Jimin! Has it been busy lately?" 

"Not today! I'm so ready to knock out after this!" Jimin groaned as he walked over and flipped over the 'open' sign on the door, signaling that Taehyung was the last customer.

"Oh, there's two red velvet cupcakes left! I'll put them in your bag." Jimin hummed as he took out the last two items from the display shelf.

"Thanks, Jimin." Taehyung grinned happily as he grabbed the last piece of bread.

He walked over to Jimin, waiting for the boy to ring him up as he casually looked around the bakery.

"Hold on let me just prepare the mixes for tomorrow morning. The cake has to be perfect." Jimin squealed as he hurried to mix and prep the ingredients.

"Oh, who's birthday is it now?" Taehyung smiled, wondering if it was the owner of the coffee shop across the street or Mrs. Lee from the shoe repair shop down the road.

Jimin scoffed for a second before laughing lightly, "What are you talking about? Do you not know what day it is tomorrow?"

"It's September first. The year is almost over, can you believe it Chim?" Taehyung sighed casually as he leaned against the counter, making Jimin stop tying up the mixture bags.

"Wait- you seriously don't know?" Jimin's eyes widened.

"Know what?" Taehyung frowned, cocking his head to the side lightly.

"It's Jungkook's nineteenth birthday tomorrow." Jimin practically screeched.

Taehyung froze for a split second, his eyes widening and mouth parting lightly.

It was his boyfriend's birthday tomorrow and he had no idea.

What kind of a boyfriend was he if he didn't even know the day he was born?

But then again Jungkook had failed to mention anything earlier when he walked him home, only making small talk.

"W-What?!" Taehyung gasped, leaning forward to make sure he heard correctly.

"Has he seriously not mentioned anything?" Jimin asked, walking over to help place Taehyung's things into a brown paper bag.

Taehyung shook his head as a panicked look washed over his features, "Oh my gosh Jimin I'm the worst person ever. What am I supposed to get him-?"