nineteen.

Warning: sensitive subjects ahead

-

"Thank you." Taehyung whispered as he finished up the prayer, putting the necklace back around his neck.

"For what?" Jungkook asked, his hand still tingling from the feeling of Taehyung's hand in his moments ago.

"... For being here." Taehyung looked at him with warm eyes, small smile on his lips.

Jungkook gulped harshly as he looked around the room, "I don't like seeing you cry." 

Taehyung exhaled loudly, nodding his head softly as he registered his words.

"Trust me, I don't like people seeing me cry either." Taehyung laughed humorlessly.

They sat in silence for a few minutes as Taehyung gradually got ahold of his emotions.

"It's so creepy in here. I feel like all the statues are staring at me." Jungkook muttered as he gazed around the church, shivering lightly.

Taehyung giggled as he looked at Jungkook's creeped out expression.

"You're acting as if you've never been in a church before." 

His smile faded away when he saw Jungkook look away, practically confirming his statement.

Taehyung's eyes widened in shock, turning his body towards Jungkook.

"This is your first time in a church?" Taehyung gasped.

"I mean I've seen them in movies and stuff but yeah I guess this is my first time being in one in person."

Jungkook's cheek flushed lightly, surprising Taehyung even further.

Taehyung's cheeks mirrored his when he realized he was the reason Jungkook entered in the first place.

The boy suddenly stood up, casually grabbing Jungkook's hand and pulling him onto his two feet.

"Come." He smiled softly, leading the way.

He walked them up to the alter, steering towards the far left where a golden statue of the Virgin Mary stood.

Once they got there, Taehyung didn't let go of Jungkook's hand, instead held it tighter.

Jungkook stared at the beautiful statue in awe, analyzing the finest details.

Meanwhile Taehyung grabbed an unlit candle from the cabinet underneath.

He gently handed it to Jungkook with an encouraging smile, making the boy stare at him hesitantly.

Jungkook slowly placed the candle near a lit candle, immediately sharing the fire.

He gently placed it with the others, feeling a bit overwhelmed.

"Why did you make me do that?" Jungkook whispered after a few moments.

Taehyung smiled with watery eyes as he answered, "I know you said you don't believe in God and you probably have a very good reason for that. I just wanted you to know that you don't always have to pray to Him to be heard. There are angels and saints, and there's the Virgin Mary. If I'm being honest, I probably pray to her more than I do to anyone else."

Jungkook's throat burned as his vision blurred, trying to gulp down the feeling.

"Thank you." Was all Jungkook whispered, hand squeezing Taehyung's tightly.

-

"You really don't have to walk me home." Taehyung whined softly, feeling more comfortable with Jungkook after the emotional afternoon.

"It's dark out." Jungkook spoke.

"So what? I've been out this late before, and by myself." Taehyung pouted.

"Don't want you to accidentally run into Hoseok." Jungkook muttered, effectively silencing Taehyung.

The boy shrieked lightly as he almost tripped over a larger step, Jungkook quick to drag his arm.

"So clumsy." Jungkook teased.

Taehyung flushed as he muttered a 'Thank you', realizing that Jungkook had taken the opportunity to grab his hand.

They were about two houses down when Taehyung suddenly stopped, making Jungkook turn around.

"It's better if my father doesn't see us..." Taehyung spoke softly, feeling awful about potentially hurting Jungkook's feelings.

Jungkook's eyes darkened with emotion, huffing loudly as he nodded his head at last.

He didn't want Taehyung to get in trouble because of him.

"Goodnight." Taehyung smiled at him as he let go of his hand, starting to walk away.

Jungkook stayed in his spot as he made sure Taehyung got to his door safety, smiling widely as Taehyung waved at him before entering.

He smiled like a fool as he clasped his hands behind his neck, leaning his head back to look up at the stars.

At the same time Taehyung's smile fell the second his father spoke to him from the couch.

"I thought I had been very clear with what I said boy." 

Taehyung's breathing hitched at the same time his body filled with fear. His palms were sweating profusely as his father slowly got up from the couch.

Taehyung whimpered loudly when he saw the wooden paddle in his father's right hand, his stomach dropping.

"No, please." He whispered to himself, knowing that no one could save him in that moment.

"You want to go against the Lord and hold hands with that dirty street rat like some fag, then have at it with the consequences."

His father sneered in his face as he forced Taehyung to place his palms flat against the table.

The poor boy was sobbing loudly as he begged his father not to do it, body shaking uncontrollably.

"The Lord doesn't like sinners." He spat right before bringing the paddle down hard onto Taehyung's knuckles.

The burning sensation spread like wildfire as blood rushed to the surface. Taehyung screamed at the pain, hot tears streaming down his cheeks.

"The Lord punished people like him. And I'll punish you if you choose to do the same." His father brought the paddle down three more times, making Taehyung nearly choke on his sobs.

He felt like his knuckles had been broken, his fingers now numb from the pain and swelling quickly.

"Please stop!" He cried, not being able to take the pain.

His father ignored him, grabbing him roughly as he opened the familiar dark closet at the end of the hallway.

Taehyung was shaking his head furiously, trying to pull away, making his father even more angry.

"Please, don't. Please!" Taehyung screamed helplessly as his father shoved him inside harshly.

"You'll stay in there until you learn to follow the Lord!" The pastor sneered, closing the door just as Taehyung ran up to it.

"Father! Please don't! I can't breathe in here." Taehyung cried, his claustrophobia kicking in at the confined space.

The room was stuffy and his breathing came out labored as sweat trickled down his forehead.

It was dark but he had been in there enough times to remember where the flashlight was, reaching out blindly.

He sniffled loudly as the pain in his hands increased, grasping the flashlight desperately once he found it.

He quickly turned it on, feeling less panicked now that he could see his surroundings. He flashed it towards the floor where he was currently sitting, seeing a Bible and a Rosary sitting together.

He gritted his teeth as he shakily reached out to grab the Bible, a strangled sob leaving his lips as he opened the book.