forty four.

For a split second it felt like nothing had ever changed.

Hoseok smelled like apples and cinnamon and everything nice.

Jungkook's nose was stinging from the amount of nostalgia and sentiment.

They remained embraced for a few more seconds, neither of them wanting to let go.

In the end it was Hoseok who gently rubbed his back and slowly pulled away, making Jungkook sniffle loudly.

He then went on to hug Yoongi while Jungkook tried to control his emotions.

He even offered Taehyung an apology for that day at the car race but Taehyung brushed it off with a smile on his face.

In the end they stayed a few more hours at Yoongi's house until everyone had managed to calm down.

Taehyung knew he had no choice but to go home, he couldn't avoid his father forever.

He just wondered what would happen the second he got hone.

After all, not only had he snuck out, but managed to turn in his father's dirty work to the police.

Did he already know? Was he upset?

"I should really get going." Taehyung murmured as he played with Jungkook's hair who was currently resting his head on the boy's lap.

Hoseok and Yoongi were having a conversation as they watched the television, Jimin was fast asleep on the sofa over.

Jungkook just let out a groan as Taehyung giggled.

"Why? Can't you-"

"Sh- guys be quiet!" Yoongi yelled as he turned up the volume to the television, making everyone quiet down.

Even Jimin seemed to wake up from his slumber, a small yawn leaving his lips.

"...-I'm here with breaking news. Behind me you can see as police forces invade and dismantle a small warehouse here off Route Ninety-one. It appears that the police received an anonymous call about some sort of, conversion therapy practices in this particular building."

The camera panned over to behind the woman before zooming in where it was clear that police forces were evacuating the building.

Everyone in the room was deadly silent as they watched the scene before them.

An odd sense of relief filled them as their eyes stayed glued to the screen.

Taehyung could feel Jungkook's hand holding onto his tightly, a reminder that he wasn't alone.

None of them were.

They had each other.

Even if they lived in a blue neighborhood where loving was prohibited and everyone was incredibly closed minded.

"Ryan, it appears that the people responsible have all been caught, behind me we can see as the police bring out the two organizers of the whole thing."

Taehyung's breath caught in his throat when he saw a man he did not recognize in handcuffs, while the other one, he did.

It was the priest, his father's friend.

He gulped harshly as he saw the man in handcuffs look up at the camera, eyes dark.

He felt his heart beat pick up, horrible memories from that day in the church filling his mind.

But that wasn't the only thing that scared him, made him fear for his life.

It was the fact that his father had not been caught for his part in the wrongdoing.

He would get away with it.

Taehyung could feel his breathing begin to come out labored as the female speaking continued.

"It appears the neighboring townspeople were allowing their children to participate in this therapy," the woman paused, looking very upset and overwhelmed.

"It's just truly saddening that we still have places in the world that do these types of things. It's very upsetting that homophobia still remains in parts of our world." She sighed as she continued talking.

"Tae?" Jungkook asked gently.

"He's going to get away with it, he's not going to pay for what he's done." Taehyung spoke lowly, eyes blank.

Jungkook didn't reply because he knew that what the boy was saying was true.

No one would bother to look any further into the crime.

Especially not in their stupid, little town with absolutely nothing to offer the world.

If only they knew the secrets a town like theirs could hold.

"I have to go." Taehyung deadpanned as he got up from his spot, making Jungkook quickly shoot up as well.

He didn't bother to deny Jungkook's offer to walk him home, knowing that there was no point in denying anything anymore.

It was over.

His continuous and pathetic attempts to be the perfect son were over.

His father wasn't worthy of his kindness and no longer was Taehyung fooled by his 'good intentions'.

He could see him for the monster that he truly was.

So when Jungkook expressed his concern for his wellbeing he confidently told him he would be fine.

Because he would no longer cower away from his angry father nor try to make amends with the man.

In his heart, he knew that it would be impossible to achieve.

So, when he walked in and saw his father's raging face, he gave him no emotion.

"What have you done boy?!" He spat angrily as Taehyung looked behind him to see the news station on.

"I've corrected your wrongdoings father." 

"You're a disgrace! How dare you go against your own father!" He bellowed.

Taehyung stayed silent but kept his head held high as the man cursed him.

"Do you have any idea the amount of money you've made our family lose?!"

"No father, that was all you. That was you and your homophobic ideology!" Taehyung yelled back, eyes brimming with tears.

The man's eyes turned even darker at the sound of his own son finally speaking back to him.

Finally finding his own voice.

"Is this what this is about?" He let out a bitter laugh.

"You're one of those fags now, huh? You like being a sinner?" He sneered as he got closer to Taehyung's face.

"It's that boy, isn't it? That low life street rat you've been hanging around? What is that boy to you?! Answer me or I'll make sure you never see him again!" The pastor yelled angrily as he gripped Taehyung's upper arm tightly.

In that moment something snapped in him.

He was no longer affected by his father's opinion nor did he need his validation.

"You can't! I love him!"

The second those words left his lips, his father brought his hand down roughly onto his cheek.