Chapter 7

Evie’s POV

“I don’t really want mashed potatoes and gravy again Evie.” Donny plops himself down on our rickety couch.

I look around the cabinets for something to eat. All we have are crackers, peanut butter and a couple juice boxes. I open the fridge and all I see is a bowl of fruit, some water bottles, a few cans of tuna and some bread.

“That’s all we have Donny.” I open a can of gravy, pour it in a tupperware container and stick it in the microwave. I then go back to stirring the mashed potatoes over the stove. “Maybe if mom makes good tips tonight, we can go grocery shopping tomorrow after we get your belt.”

Donny crosses his arms and throws himself back into the couch. “Other kids at school don’t eat the same thing everyday. For breakfast, I always have oatmeal. For lunch, I always have peanut butter sandwiches without jelly. And for dinner, I always have mashed potatoes and gravy.”

“Well maybe that’ll change one day Donny. But for right now, we have to be thankful for what we have.”

Donny gets off the couch and walks into the room we share. He slams the door and I just keep cooking.

“Donny.” I knock on our door when the food’s ready. “Come eat.”

“I don’t want to eat.”

I sigh. “If you come out and eat, I’ll ask Ruth if we can go see a movie at her house on Saturday.” The door opens instantly and Donny is smiling.

“Really?”

“Yes really. Now Come on.”

“Why was Tony not feeling well today Evie?”

I mix my plate of mashed potatoes and gravy around. Then I chomp on some green beans I found in the freezer. “He drank something he wasn’t supposed to.”

“Like what?”

“I think it was bad water.”

“Oh.” Donny nods and shoves the rest of his plate in his mouth. He burps when he’s done and hangs his head down sadly.

“What’s wrong Donny?” I ask looking at him.

“I’m still hungry,” he says, sadly.

“Did you eat lunch at school?”

“No.” Donny wipes his eyes. “One of the big kids took my sandwich today.”

“Oh. I’m so sorry Donny.” I push him my plate. “Here. You can have mine.”

Donny smiles a little before digging in but I can’t help asking him questions about this bully.

“Is that the first time he took your sandwich?”

“Yeah. He said he was going to pick on one first grader each day until the end of the school year. And I guess today was my day.” Donny shrugs and keeps eating.

“I’m sorry Donny. That’s really unfair. Maybe I can come by your school and—”

“I’m hommmeee!” My mom prances through the door with brown bags filled with stuff and a few shopping bags.

“Mama!” Donny hops off his dining table chair and flings himself at my mom. She has to drop all her bags to hold him.

“Hi my baby boy!” she smothers him in kisses. “How are you?” She sounds like she’s talking to a dog.