Chapter 14

Tony’s POV

I’m drunk.

Today was supposed to be my last day of drinking and I slipped up hardcore yesterday night. Smiley decided to reward me for all my drug routes and I got carried away. I didn’t do any drugs but as soon as the bottle hit my lips, I just lost it.

I don’t even know how I got home, but I feel horrible. I had my last bottle a little over an hour ago and I can’t think straight. The funny thing is, I didn’t even get the same high I normally did from drinking. Instead, I just feel like a sick failure.

Even worse, Evie is supposed to come over any minute—

"TONYYYYY! EVIE AND DONNY ARE HEREE!" Emi screams at me.

Crap. I try and sit up but the room is spinning and my vodka is threatening to make a reappearance.

"Tony! Evie is here! So you gotta get up!" Emi starts jumping on my bed and my nausea gets worse.

"Emi stop. I don’t feel good. At all."

"What do you mean you don’t feel good?" Evie walks into my room and puts her bag on the floor. What she does next surprises me.

Instead of sitting in my desk chair like she normally does, she climbs onto my bed and settles down next to me.

The room won’t stop spinning and I can’t help but think that the bottle I had only an hour ago was a huge mistake.

"Tony? Are you drunk?" Evie’s voice is sharp and full of dissapointment.

"Geez." I turn away from her and cover my eyes. "Emily’s in here."

"Do you mind if me and Tony talk for a minute?"

Emily is quiet for a moment. “I guess. But me and Donny want to go to the park.”

"I don’t know about the park Emily. I’ll let you know in an hour, okay?"

"Okay," Emily mumbles then shuts the door.

"Sometimes I wish you’d leave me alone," I say when Emily leaves. "I just need to sleep this off Ev."

"What happened to you getting clean?" Evie’s voice shakes. I turn back towards her and she looks like she’s about to cry.

I sit up slowly and pull her closer to me. She resists at first, then relaxes into my chest.

"I really hate seeing you like this, Tony. You have so much potential and I don’t understand why you insist on drinking yourself into oblivion." Evie looks up at me with eyes full of concern.

"I’m not drinking just to get drunk."

"Yeah you are." Evie shifts in my lap. "Every time something goes bad or you can’t handle it, you drink. And don’t say that I shouldn’t care, because I do."

I open my mouth to respond but I’m cut off by the wave of nausea that hits me. I bend in the other direction and puke all over my sheets.

"Oh Tony." Evie’s voice is soft and she starts running her hand through my hair.

"I’m sorry. I’m sorry." I keep repeating this until sleep takes over and the last thing I remember is Evie getting up to leave.

I wake up and my head is pounding. And there’s puke on my sheets. I crawl out of bed and go to the kitchen for water and Advil.

"Hey."

I look up to see Evie doing homework on my dining room table.

"Hey," I say back. I grab a glass of water then lay down on the couch. "Crap."