Chapter 23

Evie's POV

Please be good. Please be good.

I'm staring at the envelope with my SAT score on the inside. It's been about a month since I took the test and I've been nervous about my score ever since.

I finally just decide to rip open the envelope. I can always take it again if it's—

My eyes scan the page until I find my score.

2100.

2100.

"OH MY GOSH DONNY I GOT A 2100 ON THE SAT!!" I start dancing around the living room as I scream.

"What? What happened Evie?" Donny comes running out of our room.

"Come dance with me!!" I can't contain my excitement.

"Okay!" After a moment he looks up at me. "Why are we dancing Evie?"

I pick him up and swing him around.

"Because! I got a freaking 2100 on my SAT!"

"Is that good?"

"It's amazing Donny!" I stop dancing and look at the score once again. "I gotta call Tony!"

"Yay! Are we gonna go see him and Emi? I love going over there." Donny flashes me his toothy smile as he looks up at me.

"Maybe Donny. Let me call him, okay?"

"Okay." Donny wanders back into our room and a moment later, I hear him reading to himself.

That kid is so smart. Hopefully now with this SAT score I can help him out more when I get into a good college.

Tony picks up on the third ring. "Hey negrita."

"Hey Tony!! So guess what? Guess what?!"

Tony laughs to himself. "I'm sure you're gonna tell me Evie, so what is it?"

"I got a 2100 on the SAT Tony!!" I practically scream into the phone.

"I'm gonna guess that that’s a really good score right?"

"Yes, it's a great score. It's an amazing score! I can probably get into any college I want now!"

"Well then. we gotta celebrate negrita. What are you and Donny doing right now?"

"Nothing. Why?"

"Wanna come over? I'll cook and Donny and Emi can hang out."

"Okay! We'll be there in like 20 minutes. Sound good?"

"Sounds perfect. See you then."

"Donny!" He runs out of our room and looks at me expectantly. "We're going to Tony's. Get ready."

"Yessssss!" He runs back into the room.

I smile to myself again.

All that hard work finally paid off.

"Hey Donny!" Emily rips the door open and grabs Donny's hand before we even get a chance to knock. "Do you wanna play with Peanut?"

"Yes please!" The two go running down the hallway.

"Hi to you too Emi," I laugh to myself.

"I'll say hi to you." Tony hugs me softly and kisses my cheek. "Congrats on your SAT score."

"Thanks Tony." I squeeze him harder and smile.

"Now," Tony lets go of me and walks towards the kitchen. "I think we need to celebrate with nice dinner. How about a grilled Caribbean Chicken over corn salad with a side of sautéed green beans? And maybe tiramisu for dessert?"