Chapter 37

Evie’s POV

This is it. The last final of my junior year.

I scribble my name at the top of my paper and start reading the essay prompt.

“People come into our lives for a reason” is a popular saying. Pick a person whom you believe has come into your life for a reason this past year. Support your claim with specific evidence. Remember to use rhetorical devices to strengthen your argument.

Easy. It’s Tony. I start my essay.

If you only get one true love, I am happy that I’ve found mine.

Antonio (Tony) Cortez and I started talking September of 2014. It wasn’t a fairy tale beginning. In fact, it was quite the opposite. I had seen Tony around school for a few years. I thought he was attractive. He was tall, funny, strong but always drunk. Always drunk.

One day, Tony stumbled into my workplace. He was drunk, as usual. We talked a little. Well, I talked and Tony slurred. We talked about our future. Me, about leaving East Side and bettering my future and Tony, about being the number one hustler in town when he got older. His green eyes were glazed over from the last bottle he downed but I was still drawn to him. Was it his angular jaw? How his arms flexed when he moved? His smirk? Maybe it was all of the above but I knew in my heart that we could never be together. Not that he wasn’t good enough but the life he was living wasn’t for me.

Soon enough, that all changed. Two days after our first real conversation, Tony approached me again. This time, it was different. He wanted to be with me. He wanted to love and hold me. I wasn’t sure I was ready. After all, this was a kid known for partying and hooking up with countless girls. But then he said something that made me think twice.

He was ready to change.

And even more, he was ready to change for me.

I was confused. A part of me knew this couldn’t possibly end well. The other part of me wanted to trust him. I wanted to believe that he really wanted to change.

Tony had a drinking problem. It was a problem fueled by one of his mom’s ex-boyfriends. Alcoholism is not an easy obstacle to overcome. Especially at age 16. But Tony was determined (whether or not his determination was fueled by a need to be with me is of little importance).

We went to AA meetings together and soon, our lives were blending together. I would spend time with his family and him, with mine. We fell in love with each other.

I look up at the clock and I only have two minutes left. I spent all my time reminiscing.

Antonio Cortez came into my life for a reason. In fact, he came into my life for several reasons. And several lessons. Tony has taught me that everyone deserves an opportunity or in his words, “una oportunidad.” He has also taught me that everyone can change. When we are faced with obstacle that seem unbearable, there is always a way out. Sometimes, we just need someone there to hold our hand and I am happy to have Tony here holding mine.

“Pencils down.” Mr. Smith stands up at the front of the classroom. “Hand me your papers on the way out.”

I hand in my paper then take out my cell phone when I exit the classroom.

“Hey Tony! I just got out of class,” I say when he picks up. “Where are you?”

“I’m picking up Donny and Emily from school. Foods let us out early.”

“Ohh! Okay. Do you want me to meet you at your house?”

“Nah. Meet us at the park. Emily wants to celebrate the last day of school on the swings.”