Chapter 42

Last chapter tonight guys. Enjoy and I'll be back next week with Chapter 43! :)

Tony’s POV

“Tony! Watch me! Watch me!”

I look up to see Donny swinging as hard as he can.

“Good job little man!” I call from the picnic bench where my mom and I are setting out sandwiches.

My phone rings and I pull it out to see Evie’s beautiful smile flash across the screen.

“Hey mamacita.

“Hey Tony.” Her voice is soft and I already miss seeing her. It’s only been 24 hours. “Keisha and I just got back from the city. She wants to take a nap then talk to her mom this afternoon about her adoption options I was wondering where you are so I can catch up with you guys.”

“We’re at Domingo Park, the one behind my apartment.”

“Oh! Okay. I’m not too far. I’ll be there in like 10 minutes.”

“Okay mamas. I’ll see you in a few. And I love you.”

“And I love you Tony.” She hangs up the phone and I go back to helping my mom take out napkins and drinks from our small cooler.

“Evie’s coming I take it?”

“Yeah. She can have my second sandwich.”

“Sounds good mijo.” She kisses me on the cheek then pulls me in for a long hug. “I know I’ve been saying this a lot recently but I really am proud of you. You’ve come a long way in your drinking and caring for Emily and caring for yourself. I’m proud of you Antonio.”

“Thaankkss Ma.” I can’t help but blush.

“And I’m so glad you have Evie. She’s so good for you. You guys treat each other so well and when I look at you guys, I see a couple that’s going to last, siempre (always or forever). You keep treating her well okay mijo?

“Okay Ma. You’re embarrassing me.”

“In front of who?” She caresses my face then ruffles my hair. “Y necesitas un corte de pelo.(You need a haircut).”

I run my hand through my hair. She’s right. I haven’t cut my hair in over a month. I usually let it grow out ‘til Evie complains, then I have one of my neighbors cut it. Arturo.

He’s a 14 year old kid but he cuts like a professional. He doesn’t ask for much money. Usually he asks for my mom’s tamales. It’s a fair trade off but I usually give him a few bucks as well. I smooth my hair back and make a note to get it cut tomorrow.

“Can we eat now?” Emily comes running up to the picnic table and Donny comes chasing after.

“And can I have water please?”

Si and Si,” my mom replies. She hands Donny a bottle of water and Emily sits down at the picnic table.

We all get our sandwiches and start eating. The first bite is delicious. It’s a pastrami sandwich with lettuce, cheese, mayo and a small amount of this special sauce my mom makes. It’s amazing.

“You gonna save some of that for me?” Evie walks up to the table with a smile on her face. She looks absolutely sexy. She has on black tights, some flipflops, a dark blue tank top and a black headband.

I move over so she can sit and my mom pulls a sandwich out of the cooler.

“There you go Evie.”

“Thanks Ma,” Evie responds. I love how her and my mom get along so well.

“How are you?” my mom asks.

“Pretty good.” Evie takes a bite of her sandwich and her eyes open wide. “This is amazing!”

“Thanks mija. I make a special spread that goes with pastrami. My grandmother taught me.”

“It’s delicious! Can I know what’s in it?”

“She won’t even tell me.” I roll my eyes.

My mom laughs. “Mi abuela (my grandmother) said that the recipe is only to be passed down through the women in the family. So maybe one day when you’re my daughter-in-law I can tell you, but not now.”

Evie laughs and keeps eating. “I think I can wait a few more years.”

“I went really high on the swings today Evie,” Donny interrupts. “Like really high. My foot almost touched the tree!”

“That’s so cool Donny!” Evie says. “You’ll have to show me when we finish eating.”

“Me too!” Emily cries out. “I went just as high as him.”

“Wow! You guys are pros huh?”

“Yup,” they say at the same time. I laugh as they keep eating.