Chapter 20

I think chaewon's regret is not being able to save her mother. please save her from this regret. if you can do that, you may be able to stop the accident from happening.

what does that mean? if I know the day of the accident, can I prevent it? I've been too scared to read ahead up until now. but it should be written in here somewhere.

I tried to search for the other part of the letter. I search for everywhere including the closet, drawer, table. but there's one part of the drawer I haven't search for yet.

not wanting to waste any of my time, I look for it thoroughly. "this is it," I cheered as I hold onto the pieces of papers in my hand.

December 30th

until then, its just another day. at night in my room writing in my diary, as usual, yujin calls me telling me that chaewon has been in an accident. she tells me that chaewon died in that accident.

the accident happens that night after 8.00 p. m. at the nearest intersection near chaewon's house.

apparently, chaewon was riding her bicycle when she darts out in front of a speeding truck. there was nothing we could do. saving chaewon from the accident won't save her. I want you to save chaewon's heart.

10 years later, we learnt that it wasn't just an accident, but that chaewon committed suicide.

we have one regret: that we let chaewon die.

*27 years old*

"was it... really an accident?" yujin questioned that made chaewon's grandmother caught off guard. "I'd like to know the truth too," yena continues.

"The police asked us various questions after the accident. like, 'had she been acting differently lately?' or 'did she talk about dying?'" eunbi explains.

"but after that, I heard they declared it's an accident after all," yuri said.

"can I tell them now, chaewon?" her grandmother asked slowly looking up towards the sky as if she was trying to talk to chaewon who is already in the other part of the world.

"This is the last note that chaewon left behind," her grandma hand us out a piece of note from her pocket. yujin who is sitting nearest to chaewon's grandmother, think it's best for her to read it out loud for everyone.

Grandma, I'm sorry I've made it so hard on you. if anything happens to me, please tell everyone it was an accident. I'm going to see mom and apologise to her. thank you for everything.

- Kim Chaewon

"it seems as though chaewon made the choice herself to ride in front of that speeding truck. I wish I could've done something for her. but regret as I may, it's too late to change anything," her grandmother said in guilt.

*17 years old*

I want you to ask her about her mother. I think chaewon's regret is not being able to save her mother. if you can do that, you may be able to stop the accident from happening.

I want you to keep chaewon from choosing death. I want you to help take on her burdens. I want you to save chaewon's heart.

"minmin..." I turn around to see chaewon in her hanbok. but instead of using the female's hanbok, she wore male's instead. "it used to be my grandpa's," she shyly scratches the back of her head.

"it looks good on you," I complimented her. "you've changed your hair." "does it look weird," touching my braided hair as I don't have any confidence that it'll look good on me. "it fits you!"