Chapter 38

Minju's POV

December 30th

in the morning, I met chaewon my the entrance. she said, "it's cold today, isn't it?" I replied, "yeah, it is cold." that was the last time I talked to chaewon.

"minmin~~~~," you can see chaewon running happily towards me right now with her arm wide open. her smile is what makes everything looks oddly beautiful.

her voice just got louder when her pace got nearer to me. using her wide open arm, she then wraps it around my side not forgetting to give a peck on the cheek as soon as she felt my presence.

"yah~~~ why are you only wearing this thin cardigan during this snowy weather? arent you cold?" she asks cutely still hugging my side rubbing her cheek onto the side of my head.

"not really," I replied. "liar," she pouted with her arm crossed. "you are shivering right now!" she tried to look angry but with that cute face, she had, not gonna happen.

as she lectures me about why shouldn't go out with thin clothes, she naturally wraps her mint scarf around my neck. and yes, it is the same scarf she used to warm me with yesterday.

"come on minmin~~," wrapping her arm around my neck with my arm around her tiny waist walking towards our class by the end of the hallway. "do you wanna eat lunch together today at the rooftop?" she asks with her head-turning towards me waiting patiently for my answer. "sure."

out of nowhere when we were just about to go into the classroom, she stands in front of me staring at me weirdly with a grin on her face. clearly planning something inside her head right now.

"what are you d-," I got cut off by her action. I can feel her soft lips on my lips with her strawberry lip gloss she's using. "love you. now, let's go," she drags me by the wrist.

I won't let today be the last day. for sure.

*ring* the bell ring showing that its time for lunch. just as I've promised to chaewon, I'll have lunch together with her at the rooftop.

I haven't even finished cleaning my desk up when a handgrip onto my wrist dragging me to the rooftop. lucky enough, I manage to take the lunchbox I've made earlier this morning for both of us.

"arent you cold?" I ask her worriedly as what I remember, this scarf I'm wearing right now is hers. "nope," she said as she sits herself to the bench provided. "here. for you," I gave her the lunchbox I've made especially for her.

"Woah! I haven't had a minmin lunch in ages," she grins widely before giving me a peck on the cheek once again. I already miscount the amount of time she gave a kiss today.

sometimes it's on the cheek, sometimes on the lips, and sometimes even on my hand. but even so, I'll never get tired of her kiss.

"minmin... what am I to you. well, except for your girlfriend. what am I to you?" she asks out of nowhere. "to me, you are a treasure. everything you've done to me is a treasure. but you're far more important to me than any treasure."

her hand is holding onto my cheek gently turning it to her so she can give a soft kiss, not a peck, but kiss on the lips. it's not long, but it's not short either. it's just right for me to feel her love. "I love you, minmin~~," she whispers to my ear. 

The accident happened that night after 8:00.

"do you wanna walk home together today," I ask her swinging around our intertwined hands. "sorry minmin, I cant today. I'm going to the hospital with my grandma."

It was at an intersection near chaewon's house. apparently, chaewon rode her bicycle right into the path of an oncoming truck.

"I see... we can't pressure her to go with us. not after the day during the opening ceremony, will chaewon be okay on her own?" yujin sigh sadly with her body leaning against the wall.

"let's destroy her bike," yuri suggests. "no. that's mean," yena hit the back of yuri's head for being stupid and dumb. "should we wait for her at the intersection?" eunbi finally came up with a good plan.

"yeah... let's do that," yujin agrees. "you mean to break her bike?" yuri with her violent action once again.

"what are you guys talking about?" a voice suddenly said in a distance making us flinch in shock. it's chaewon we're talking about here. "we're talking about you," yujin calmly said.

just then, yuri suddenly went nearer to chaewon without saying anything. she hugged chaewon tightly out of nowhere. the thing is, yuri never likes to hug anyone before. yena is an exception.

"what is it, yuri? say something," chaewon who looks uncomfortable with the sudden action lead by yuri. she can be seen sweating in this cold room. probably don't know what to do or react by it. the others, including me, burst into laughter.

I wish today is just like any other day. even if it turns out to be a boring day, when nothing really happens, as long as nothing is missing, that's enough.

*27 years old*

"We can't change our future. even if our letters are delivered, our regrets cant be erased. say there are no parallel worlds, and this is the only world. the letters reach our past selves, and we manage to save chaewon.

the future is painted over, and the chaewon died event disappears. the letters to warn us of chaewon's death won't be written. the letters would cease to exist the moment chaewon doesn't die future comes to be. and the painted over future would return to its original form.

either that or maybe the letters just can't be sent back to the past. but... if our letters are delivered, the world would branch off from ours, so we'd just be creating a new world.

its not as if we'll be able to change our own world's past. whether there's only one world or parallel world, nothing will change for us. we'll never see chaewon again," yuri explains.

it's okay if we'll never see chaewon again. I just want a world where chaewon can live happily with a smile on her face.

I wanna see chaewon happy.