Chapter 23

Minju's POV

"Good morning, minmin~~," chaewon said running to my side just to put her arm on my shoulder. after the confession from yesterday, I couldn't help but feel flustered at every little thing she does to me.

"Good morning, Chae." I look over to her and notice that she is using the sports bag I bought for her birthday. "thank you for using the bag I gave." "of course I would use it. it's from you after all. it would be a waste if I don't use it," she grins.

I feel the same way, chae.

we've just finished our p.e lesson and since we were using the equipment to play our preferred sports, we were asked to clean it up by ourselves.

While picking up all the balls on the ground, yujin suddenly came near me. "You're not going to answer her?" I flinch at how she looks at me with those dark brown eyes she has. "if I answer her, it might bother her," resting my chin on top of my knee.

yujin starts to burst in laughter before saying, "that's totally you, minju." "but I don't know what to say," I said shyly while shielding my face with both of my palms.

"Just tell her exactly how you feel," eunbi came out of nowhere to give a piece of useful advice. "minju. make sure you answer her," yujin said seriously with her expressionless face.

"you don't need to worry about it. we can stay the same as always," chaewon came from behind. "someone is playing cool~~," yujin teasingly said. "shut up," giving yujin a knock on the head.

"I'll carry this to the storeroom. come with me, yujinie," chaewon nudge yujin. the latter didn't even complain instead she stood up without saying anything.

the two were about to walk from us when yujin suddenly turn back. "minju! chaewon says you look good with the ponytail." "I did not!" chaewon kick yujin using her leg. "yes you did. you totally did." "whatever. let's just go."

After school

"minju. you got a minute?" yujin asks worryingly. "yes." yujin grab my wrist dragging me to an empty room. a place where we can talk privately. "is there anything on your letter for the 7th?" yujin starts off.

"just a second," I said browsing through the letter diligently. turning from one page to another.

August 7th

this is what I heard from chaewon's grandmother after she died. chaewon attempted suicide on this day. she said she hanged herself with a towel in her bedroom and was taken to the hospital unconscious.

chaewon was absent from school for several days, starting on the 11th. the reason was that she was hospitalised.

I gasped loudly while reading it. I can't believe it. she did not only attempt to commit suicide once. but twice. that's even worse.

"it said the same thing in my letter. but the world of the letters and our world are a little different. it may be that there are no suicide attempts in her future now. on the other hand, there's still a chance of an actual suicide," yujin responded.

"what do we do?" I ask obviously scared. the thought of chaewon dying is killing me. "I'll do something. it's okay," yujin comforts me with positive words.

the day before her attempted suicide, chaewon met her friends from Seoul. she told her friends about her mother and that he wanted to die. but her friends laugh it off.

I want you two to talk about her feelings.

*27 years old*

chaewon passed away the day after Christmas day. I couldn't give the chocolate to her. I was only worried about what she'd think of me. I thought that no matter how many chances I was given, I just wouldn't be able to do it.