Chapter 30

Athlete meet

"minmin~~," chaewon's voice echo in my ears with her feet hopping towards me happily. "what are you doing?" she began to ask looking at the first aid kit I'm holding in my right hand. "I'm in charge of the first aid so I have to carry this around in case anyone got hurt."

"I'll tie it for you. the ribbon," she pointed at the red ribbon I've been holding for quite a while now. "that's okay. I'll do it myself later."

"don't bother," she snatches the ribbon from my grip and ties it around my head. my face began to flush realising our gap between each other. "there."

"help me to tie it too," unknot the ribbon around her neck. "sure," slowly taking the ribbon away from her with my right hand putting down the first aid kit on the floor.

same as what she does to me, I began to tie it around her head with her body slightly leaning down to match my height.

October 1st

the athletic meet. a slightly hot, clear fall day. our class represented the red team. mom and dad came to watch. yujin, yuri, yena and eunbi all had family members there to watch. but no one from chaewon's family came.

chaewon said she had no father and that her mom is currently working, hiding the truth about her mother from us. chaewon seem down during the meet.

on top of that, she fell during the relay. I'm sure the athletic meet didn't become a pleasant memory for her.

I'll never forget the look of chaewon's face after the relay. she was almost on the urge of crying. the blue team, our opponent, won the competition.

bring a relative of chaewon's to the athletic meet. make sure she has fun and doesn't feel like crying.

I started reading the letter again. I felt like it wasn't enough to just wish that our happiness would keep ongoing.

before the event start, our parents bid us hello with a smile on their face. we also don't forget to tease yuri about how her parents really look like her.

when I turn to look at chaewon like I usually do, I notice how she only look down instead of joining in our conversation. she must've felt sad.

"chae... what about your family?" eunbi asked. "my parents divorced when I was in kindergarten, so my dad is out of the picture. my mom is working today. and I didn't invite my grandmother so she won't be here," the tone of her voice says it all. she clearly feels hopeless right now.

just at that right moment, "CHAEWONIE~~~." we heard a voice belongs to a grandma from a distance. "grandma?!" chaewon exclaimed beside me loudly as she hurriedly stood up from her seat just to rush towards her grandma.

she immediately hugs her grandma tightly with a wide smile on her face. "grandma... what're you doing here?" she asks still hugging her grandma's side. "I was invited to." "by who?"

"yujin asks me to," a muscular man said with an elegant woman beside her. I guess it's yujin's parents since they look alike somehow.

"you live far away from here and I heard your grandma don't drive. so I asked my parents to bring her here instead," yujin explains sincerely.

"Thanks, yujin. I appreciate it. really," she placed her hand on the left part of her chest.

the event starts with the tug-of-war competition with the blue team winning. "hey! my dad said he wants to take a photo of us as memory," yujin drag everyone to the empty side of the track field.

"closer, please," yujin's dad ordered us to make sure everyone can be seen in the photograph. "ok. say cheese!" "CHEESE!!" *click*

Chaewon's POV

we had a break for a while. I use this time to talk with my grandma. it's been a while since we talk with each other as I've always been busy with my schoolwork.

"chaewonie... are you hurt?" my grandma asks me first. "hurt? why do think like that?" "You look a little out of sort," grandma answers. "really? I feel fine though."

"I remember back then when I went to your athletic meet when you were in kindergarten. I want you to have lots of fun like how you did back then, chaewonie because your mom is watching it too. up there," grandma tear up a little.

Minju's POV

"so... which one of them do you like?" my mom teases me while making it obvious that she is looking for that person that I like. "w-what do you mean? why do you t-think like that?" I couldn't help but to stuttered.

my eyes automatically glued to chaewon waving and smiling at me happily. "I see it. it's that girl isn't it," my mom teases me once again. fuck. I just exposed myself. "mom~~~ please don't make it obvious that you're checking her out~~," I whined.

"she's gorgeous. you have one good taste. you pick a good one, minju. I hope she treats you well though. if she hurts you or makes you cry, I'll destroy her pretty face," she cracks her knuckle with a glare.

"chaewon seems down," yujin uttered. "I honestly think it might be... her mother. chaewon said her mother is working today right? but she told both yujin and minju about her mother," yuri answered worried about chaewon.

"I guess she's hiding from the rest of us," eunbi sounds disappointed the fact that chaewon doesn't seem to trust us and decided to lie to instead. "but if she didn't tell us, how would we know what to do to make her feel better," yena replied.

the dodge ball game is going to begin shortly with yujin, yuri and chaewon participating. "chae... are you alright?" I ask worriedly.

"I know I'm not as strong and skilful like yujin in sports. I'm not as reliable as her," she looks at the ground. "don't worry, chae. just try your best. I'll root for you." "Thanks, minmin."

the three of them get back to their respected team with their fixed position. sadly, yuri wasn't placed near the others.

Chaewon's POV

"chae... doesn't it worry you for not being able to go out with minju?" yujin suddenly asked. "why would it worry me?"

"what if some other person asks her out? aren't you worried that she'll start dating someone else?" yujin attack me with other questions.

"I'd be more worried if she dates me instead." lie. the truth is, I want to date minju but I'm not sure if I can be a good girlfriend to her. I'm not sure if I can make her happy.

I'm worried that she'll be more hurt when she's with me. I'll be okay with her dating a person who deserves her. surely it'll hurt my hurt but would it be better for her to feel happy instead of me?

"why?" yujin questioned. "well... I don't know how long I'll be here. I might move again soon. even if we go date each other, I don't know when will I disappear one day and that'd be hard for minmin."

"But how do you feel for her? what if you did disappear and someone snatch her away from you? you wouldn't mind if I went out with minju?" she grips onto my shoulder tightly currently upset, I think.

"nope. in fact, that'd be a great idea. she deserves someone like you, yujin. not for someone like me who never do anything good but to hurt.

Minju's POV

*FWEET* the game begins and I can see that chaewon is giving all she got. "she looks the best of all," I muttered under my breath. but unfortunately, yena and eunbi who sat beside me heard it. "make sure you tell her that," eunbi advised. I nod once with force to show that I'll tell her that for sure.

in the end, the red team which is our team won the match. "you did a good job, yujinie," without my consent, I suddenly hug her. before I know it, chaewon suddenly storms off.

"CHAE!" yena screams for her name but she doesn't bother to look back at us. I got worried. what if she hurt herself? but why did she suddenly run away like that? is there something that upset her?

"don't worry about her, minju. I think this is moving in the right direction," yujin consulted me. what does she mean by that?