2

"You look like a sexy nun in that dress," Sasha said to me. She sat on a comfy couch while I stood on an elevated circle in front of a row of mirrors strategically placed in a U-Shape. That way, I could see all angles at the same time.

"A sexy nun? Have you ever seen a nun look sexy?" I laughed at her comment.

"Only in porn videos," Sasha said, winking at me.

"You pervert. Okay, not this dress then." I stepped down and went back to the fitting room to try on the next wedding dress. This was the third bridal boutique Sasha, and I had been to in three weeks. It was getting exhausting. During this fitting alone, I had already tried on at least four or five, and none of them did anything for me. I only had two more dresses to go, and I didn't realize how long we had been at the store. 

Eric texted me, confirming that he was going to meet me at the Grand Point Lounge in about an hour and that he couldn't wait to see me and meet my new coworkers.

I had to admit, the next dress I put on was beautiful, it was a chiffon fabric, A-line dress with off-the-shoulder draped sleeve caps. The train kissed the floor, and the bodice crisscrossed around my waist and back. I walked onto the platform and looked at myself in the mirrors. I admired how my breasts were concealed perfectly, but my shoulders and neckline were showing. My shoulder-line was probably one of my favorite features on my body.

"Damn!" Was all Sasha said, which was surprising, seeing as she always had an opinion about everything, and it was rarely condensed into a single word.

"I like it too. I think this is the one." 

I did a full turn for Sasha.

"I really wish we were still lesbian lovers right now. I'd take you back to the fitting room and do unspeakable things to you," Sasha said slyly, reminding me of our short fling in college.

I giggled in response. "I couldn't do that to Becca. I am not a home-wrecker."

Sasha laughed, almost forcing herself to snap back to reality at the mention of her wife's name. They had met in college too and ended up getting married practically as soon as they graduated. Their wedding was beautiful, and that was the same night Eric proposed to me. He and I got swept up in the magic of wedding euphoria. As we were in the middle of having sex in the coat closet at their reception, he suggested we get married.

It was not the most romantic proposal, but he made it up by re-asking me properly the next morning. By properly, I mean, he made me breakfast in bed and placed a beautiful ring on a single-stemmed deep-red rose. The engagement ring was no ordinary ring. It was a family inheritance that had been past down through several generations.  

The ring was accented with a large round cut diamond in the middle and oval cut smaller diamonds on both sides of the central diamond to resemble leaves on a flower. 

I, of course, said, "Yes."

Eric came from a pretty wealthy and influential family, probably more so than the Herman family. Still, his family was from Washington, D.C., and were related more to the financial and political sphere. I was surprised how much his family liked me, especially since I came from a much more modest and very middle-class family. 

I mean, they must have liked me, to allow Eric to propose to me with their family ring. I didn't allow myself to wear it, though. It was way too expensive for me even to consider venturing out in New York City with it. Luckily, Eric also bought a much more modest, backup diamond and band, that I would wear daily. He stored the real engagement ring in a safety deposit box at the bank.

"Ms. Ashcroft! You look absolutely stunning in that dress. Your fiancé will have his mouth on the floor when he sees you in it," the stores Bridal Assistant admired, approaching me.