49

My parents were very confused when the taxi dropped us off outside my apartment building. I explained this was where I had been living since the beginning of March. When they wanted to know more, I assured them I would explain everything, but I insisted that I show them around first.

They were impressed with the view from my living room, and they liked the apartment. My mom said it was very much 'me.' I showed them some of the amenities, including the terrace view, which I could see they enjoyed as much as I did.

My parents were hungry and wanted to take me somewhere for lunch. Since we would be going to dinner at an upscale restaurant with Eric and his parents later, I suggested we go to a local bagel shop that had great sandwiches, salads, and soups.

The rain had stopped, but it was still cloudy and looked like it would pick up again. I suggested we take a cab, but when my dad learned that it was within walking distance, he refused to spend money just to go a few blocks away.

We grabbed two umbrellas and headed out. During our walk, I pointed out the various stores I frequented for my groceries and other restaurants I'd been to, that I knew they'd like.

We got to the restaurant towards the end of the lunch rush. Which was great because we were able to place our order and find a spot to sit without any wait. My father kept going on and on about the price of the bagel sandwich he ordered. He claimed it was price gouging, but I assured him it was just the cost of having a business in New York City.

"Okay, Larry! Can we now move on to more important matters, other than the cost of our food?" My mother demanded more than asked.

He huffed and proceeded to take a bite of his sandwich in response.

I couldn't help but giggle at how cute their verbal and non-verbal banter was.

My mother looked at me with concern. "Vicky, dear. Please tell us what's going on. Is everything okay with you and Eric?"

I knew this moment was inevitable. I looked down at my salad. Pushing the lettuce and veggies around the bowl. "Yes, we're fine." I thought for a second, wanting to make sure I chose my explanation carefully. "But long story short, after we got back from Naples, something happened which caused Eric and I to break up. So I got the apartment. And even though we got back together, we both thought it'd be a good idea if I kept it. At least, until we were married."

"You broke up?" My father was now showing signs of concern too. "Did he hurt you?"

I shook my head, lifting my eyes from my food to finally look directly at them. "No, I was the one who hurt him."

My parents exchanged a glance then turned back to me. My mom reached over and rested her hand on my forearm. "Darling, are you sure you want to go through with this wedding?"

I looked back at her, surprised. "Would leaving have ever been an option? I mean, all the money you and Dad would have lost would have been astronomical."

"Vicky!" My father practically threw his sandwich back to his plate and was clearly irritated. "I may be frugal and prefer to not spend more than needed, but that doesn't mean that money matters more to me than your happiness."

I wanted to cry at hearing his words, but I knew it was pointless then. Mrs. Walton's threat kept swimming in my mind. I knew my happiness would be worthless if it meant my parent's livelihood would be destroyed.

"I love you both, and I'm sorry for making you worry about all this." I forced myself to smile and made sure it looked as genuine as possible. "I promise I am honestly happy. Eric and I worked things out, and he is the man I am marrying."