54

The wedding was going to take place at the Cathedral Church of Saint John the Divine. It was the church I attended throughout most of my time during college and knew it was where I wanted to get married. Now that I lived pretty far from it, I hadn't been back in a few months, but being there for our rehearsal that Friday, made me realize how much I missed it. I made a mental promise to start going again.

The history of the building was actually pretty fascinating. Construction on the church began in the 1890s. Though, it took close to a century to be considered anywhere near complete. It went through three phases and many architects. Because it took so long and went through so many trends, the whole structure ended up being a combination of Gothic, Romanesque, and Byzantine styles. Though the mixture worked for the church, and they blended together beautifully.

I had spent hours throughout my years in school just studying the exterior shields, archways, and trim along the building. Not to mention the carvings on the doors and stained-glass window designs.

The interior was just as awe-inspiring. There you could clearly see the three different styles from one end to the other. Each age could be seen in the stones that were used and the various designs in the pillars and ceilings.

We were standing at the altar in the naive, which was in the center of the cathedral. Reverend Daniels was standing on the slightly elevated platform. I stood next to Eric, and his groomsmen stood next to him and my bridesmaids by me. It felt weird practicing the procession, especially since it wasn't Eric that I wanted to be walking towards anymore.

After we had rehearsed the procession several times and the timing of everything, we were all hungry and ready to head to the rehearsal dinner. The reverend who was going to marry us requested that Eric and I drive with him to the dinner so he could have a chat with us, on a personal level.

We made our way out of the cathedral and climbed into chauffeured cars that were hired for the weekend.

I was a little nervous sitting next to Reverend Daniels because I didn't know what he was going to ask. I didn't like lying to him, and I knew I would have to, if he asked how I was feeling about the upcoming wedding.

As the car started driving, he cupped his hands together as if he was praying. Then in a calm and collective voice, he looked between me and Eric and asked, "So, how are you two doing? Do you both feel ready for tomorrow?"

I instantly flushed and didn't know how to respond. I looked out the window, averting my gaze from them, so they wouldn't notice.

Eric spoke first. "Thank you for asking, Reverend Daniels. I think we're doing great. And we're definitely ready for tomorrow. Our years together have really helped us grow and realize that this is what we want. To be united as husband and wife."

Reverend Daniels must have sensed my hesitation because he turned and looked at me with concern. "Vicky, my child. I have had the privilege of knowing you since you moved to New York. I have seen you grow into a very caring, ambitious, and responsible woman. I want you to know that you are in a safe place here. I'd like to hear from you about how you are feeling. Are you ready to begin this next chapter of your life?"

The way he worded it left it very open for me. I knew I could answer it without giving anything away. "Thank you, for your kind words, Reverend Daniels. Of course, I'm a little nervous about it all, but I promise I feel wonderful about my decision." I smiled genuinely. "I know that I am ready to begin the next chapter of my life with the man I love.

"He has been supportive and kind. He has tested me and helped me become the woman I am today. I know that tomorrow I will be walking into the arms of the man I've chosen to be my husband, and I don't doubt that my heart is safe, loved, and happy with him."