55

When my family and I got back to the hotel after the rehearsal dinner, I anxiously locked myself away in the room I got for Ryan and I. Sasha offered to hang out with me for a bit, especially after I found a way to sneak her into the bathroom during the party to let her know that Eric and his mother knew what Ryan and I were planning. But I assured her I would be okay and just wanted to spend my last night of freedom with him.

I sent him a text when I got to the room to let him know I was there. I figured it would give me at least forty minutes to cry and figure out how I would break it to him that our plan was going to have to be canceled. However, while I was in the middle of my shower, there was a knock at my door. If it was Ryan, he must have been closer than I thought or maybe he was waiting at the hotel the whole time, because I wasn't expecting him for at least another twenty minutes.

I quickly hopped out, threw on the hotel bathrobe, and padded my wet feet out of the bathroom. The cold air blowing from the A/C in the room made me wish I had thrown my damp hair into a towel.

"I wasn't expecting you," I started as I opened the door. "Dad? What are you doing here? I thought you and mom were going to bed."

His eyes looked enraged. "We need to talk! Now!"

I stepped back without hesitation and let him come into the room. After I shut the door, I quickly grabbed a towel for my hair from the bathroom, before following him into the room. "Is everything okay, Dad?"

I sat down on the end of the king-sized bed, squeezing the water out of my hair before wrapping it up in the towel like a turban.

My father paced the small corner of the room by the desk and chair. "I don't even know where to begin! What your mother told me sounds utterly ridiculous!"

"What are you talking about, dad? What did mom tell you?"

I don't think he heard me because he kept rambling. "How could this have happened?"

"What happened?" I asked a little louder, but still, he didn't seem to be hearing my words.

"And I know I've always told you that I don't give two fucks about money! All that matters to me is my family and your happiness!" My dad hardly ever swore. At least not when he was having a conversation with me.

"Dad!" I shouted, finally capturing his attention. "Can you please take a breath and backtrack a little? I am beyond confused right now."

My dad stopped pacing, and took a long deep breath. As he exhaled, his eyes changed from enraged to sad as he took a seat next to me on the bed. "Vicky, honey. I'll just get to the point."

"Thank you."

My dad shifted to look me square in the eyes. "Tell me the truth. Are you being forced to marry Eric tomorrow? Because you think you're protecting me?"

My heart felt like it was about to come out of my throat. It was as if a balloon that was lodged inside of me popped and suddenly released all the trapped air. I started weeping like a child who scraped their knee on the ground. He didn't hesitate to cradle his arms around me and rock gently.

I separated from him to ask, "How did..." but I was unable to finish my question as another wave of uncontrollable tears took over.

I only slightly calmed down when there was another knock at the door. This time I knew who it was. I looked at my dad, wondering if I should answer it. He took it upon himself to get the door. I grabbed a pillow as he left my side and buried my face into it, so my sobs were muffled.

"Oh! Good evening, Mr. Ashcroft. I was just...um...looking for..." I heard Ryan stutter at seeing someone he didn't expect.

I raised my head to finish his sentence for him, but my dad did it instead. "You're looking for my daughter."