37

Eric had the taxi take us back to my place. The whole ride home, I really didn't feel like trying to explain what Ryan's date was talking about. My head was starting to hurt as the alcohol was wearing off and my hearing was adjusting back to normal. Thankfully he didn't seem to want to talk either.

When we pulled up to my apartment, he asked if he could come up to stay the night. I kissed him lightly and asked him if we could just see each other the next day. Making sure to comment that I really wasn't feeling good and just wanted to crash. He was disappointed but wanted to respect my wishes and said he'd call me.

I stood at the bottom of the gray stone steps at the entrance, as I watched his taxi make a U-turn on the narrow street and drive off. Instead of heading straight in, the lights of the Manhattan skyline captured my attention. I turned, walked to the end of my building, and crossed the road. I leaned against the cold stone wall and zoned out. The streets were empty, but I could see the chain of cars driving across the bridge in the distance.

If it wasn't so cold, I probably would have stayed there watching the city of lights until the sun rose again. But I started shivering and knew I had to get inside. I waved to the night security guard who sat up straighter when I walked through the entrance and told him to have a good night as I stepped onto the elevator.

"Hold the elevator!" Someone shouted from the entrance.

I reached my hand out to stop the door from closing. As I peered out to see who it was, I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me when I saw that it was Ryan! Really?

"Excuse me, sir, do you live here?" The guard asked as he was stopped mid-tracks.

Of course, the alcohol was still affecting my judgment and the words that came from my mouth. "He's with me, John."

"Oh, sorry, Ms. Ashcroft. I didn't realize," he muttered and allowed Ryan to continue.

He thanked the guard and stepped onto the elevator. The two of us stared at each other as the doors closed.

"You know you can't just show up to my apartment whenever you want! Especially at two in the morning! And you saw that Eric left the club with me! What if he's here, waiting up-"

Ryan stopped my reprimanding lecture by kissing me. Again, I blame the alcohol, but I raised his kiss by draping my arms around his neck and pulling him into me. He responded by grabbing my waist, hugging my body back. We were so lost in the passionate embrace, that I almost didn't hear the elevator open when it reached my floor.

We reluctantly separated. I fumbled with my keys to unlock my door while he moved the collar of my jacket and kissed my neck.

Finally opening the door, I pulled him in, to return to where we were in the elevator. As I leaned into him, the door quickly shut with a slam. The sound startled me and brought me back out of my animalistic haze. I focused my eyes on Ryan, feeling all kinds of emotions.

I could see he was confused as to why I suddenly stopped responding to him. While I knew I wanted him so badly, I also knew we couldn't start this thing between us all over again.

I pulled myself away from his firm hold, brushed down the back of my hair, and tried to casually remove my coat. As if what had just happened between us, didn't. I kicked off my shoes by the door. The pain from the heels was still in my feet, but they were ever-so-grateful when I finally allowed my whole foot to plant itself on the warm, entrance rug.

"So." I felt my throat drying up and tried to clear it with a light, rattling cough. "What happened to your oh-so-darling date tonight?"

"I had a cab take her home, and I took another one to come here," he said as if it was no big deal that he just showed up at my place. He proceeded to remove his coat, which he hung on the peg next to mine.