40

As I stood outside Mr. Herman's thick, French-styled, oak-wood doors, I couldn't tell if my knock was loud enough because my heart was beating so hard, I almost couldn't hear anything but it. Mrs. Turner opened it and looked at me with a tight smile and invited me in.

I had only been in Mr. Herman's office a few times since I started working at the company. His office was the size of Adam and Ryan's combined. It was so big that he had room for a large executive desk, a sitting area with a long couch, two love seats, and a mid-sized conference table. He also had beautiful models displayed around the room of various architecture projects the company had done from their point of inception to the present. Usually, I would have asked to take a moment to study them, but not this time.

As Mrs. Turner escorted me further into the room, I saw Mr. Herman standing in front of his high-end coffee machine that sat on a side table near the couches.

"Good morning, Ms. Ashcroft. Would you care for some coffee?" His tone was welcoming.

I looked to Mrs. Turner for some direction as to how I should respond. She gave me a slight nod.

"Yes, please."

He glanced back at me with a kind smile and mesmerizing eyes that his sons shared. Though his were aged, it suited him. Seeing him, I could see what Ryan would look like in the future, and it was not a disappointing sight in the slightest.

He handed me my coffee in a beautifully crafted mug with the company's logo and requested I take a seat on one of the love seats. He gave Mrs. Turner coffee as well, and they sat near each other on the long couch that sat across from me. I tried sipping my drink, but my throat felt like it was closing, so I couldn't drink much. But I held it within my hands, hoping the warmth that resonated from it would help calm me for whatever was about to happen.

"Do you know why we're calling you in here this morning?" Mrs. Turner began, crossing one leg over the other.

I shook my head as my mouth wouldn't move to generate a verbal response.

She studied me with a stern look, clearly trying to make sure what she was about to tell me was said with caution and clarity. "It has come to our attention that there was an incident that occurred last night, while you and the others were out with a prospective client."

Again, unable to use words, I responded with a nod.

"Because said client, Mr. Gima, and his team, witnessed it, they aren't sure that they want us to complete their $400-million project. Not only does this incident cost us a sizable profit, but it is also damaging our reputation. Especially with our international clientele. Now, I don't know all the details of what actually occurred, but the fact that something did happen is completely unacceptable!"

Tears started welling up in my eyes. "I understand."

"Ms. Ashcroft," Mr. Herman interjected calmly. "Is it true that my son attacked your fiance last night?"

I froze at his question, unsure of how to respond. While Ryan did hit Eric, Eric was also the one that provoked Ryan to respond the way he did. Not wanting to lie, I nodded, resting my eyes down at my untouched coffee.

"Do you know why he did that?" He seemed genuinely confused. I then wondered if he knew of Eric and Ryan's past, but knew it wasn't the time to bring that up.

"It...it...it was because of me." My voice quivered. I finally raised my eyes back up to meet his that showed genuine concern. "Eric thought something was going on between us. He said some things he shouldn't have, which caused Ryan, I mean your son, to lash out."

Mrs. Turner chimed in with a stern voice. "And why would Eric think that?"

I guided my eyes to meet hers, which appeared to be void of any emotion. I took a staggering breath in, as fear rose with every word I had to say. "Because... there had been something going on between us."