30

"Where are we?" I asked as we stepped out of the car and stood in front of a very tall building. I looked up towards the top and guessed there were at least fifty or so levels.

"My place," Adam said casually. I looked sideways at him, which made him chuckle. "Relax. I just figured it's probably safer to just drink here than at some corner bar. That way, if you feel like you've had too much, then you can just crash in my guest room."

"We still have work tomorrow. And as much as I need a drink, I don't plan on having more than one. Plus, I'd hate to have Sasha worry about me if I don't get home by midnight."

He chuckled again and extended his elbow out for me to take. "Don't worry, Cinderella. You're in good hands. Shall we?"

I sighed, smiled lightly at him, and placed my hand on his arm. I knew I shouldn't be worried about him. After all, I'd been working for him for some time now. He never made me feel uncomfortable or done anything inappropriate before. So there was no reason to worry he'd change now.

His apartment was all the way up on the fifty-fifth floor. He turned the lock with ease, and as he stepped in, the lights turned on automatically.

"Do you have motion censored lights?" I was impressed and jealous.

"Yes. It comes in handy when I come home with hands full of groceries and don't have a free one." Adam moved to hang his coat and requested to hand him mine too.

My eyes were immediately drawn to the walls of windows and the magical view of the city's skyline. I made my way over to them to get a better look. We were so high up that I could see the shadow and twinkle lights of Central Park a few blocks away. It was truly breathtaking.

Adam's apartment decor and layout definitely complimented the view outside. It had a very minimalist design to it. Though it didn't make you feel like you were in an empty space with a few things. Everything that was in the room was put there on purpose.

There was an extra-long white-leather sectional couch that sat at the corner with it's back facing the city. By it, were two round ottomans that matched the couch perfectly. The carpet that laid under it was black, making the white of the furniture pop even more. Above the furniture was a modern and low hanging chandelier. It was very artsy in that the lights were formed to look like a blossom branch.

Along the only two walls that didn't have windows, displayed a floor-to-ceiling, large abstract painting on one and a large mounted flat-screen television on the other. It was surrounded by two modern-styled bookshelves. All the shelves contained books that all seemed to have an actual purpose for being there, such as books dedicated to architecture and travel.

I hadn't been paying any attention to Adam and didn't even notice he left the room until he came back in. He had removed his blazer jacket and tie and was looking much more relaxed. He walked up to me, carrying two glasses filled with brown liquid and thick ice cubes. "Here you go."

He handed me the glass, which I graciously accepted. "Your apartment is beautiful!"

"You should see the rest of it." He sipped at his drink casually.

I wasn't sure how to take his suggestion, so I just ignored it and took a swig of my drink. "Whoa! This is strong." I could feel it burn all the way down my throat to the pit of my stomach.

"This whiskey is one of the best in the world. I figured if you were only going to have the one drink, you would want to make it count." He moved to sit on the sectional and draped his arms along the back of if.

I turned away from the bookcase and sat down on one of the ottomans, crossing my ankles over each other. I continued to look around me, and especially out the windows to the lights of the city. Nothing was more magical than seeing that sight.