57

My nerves were causing me to fidget as I stared at my reflection in the mirror, in the bridal suite. Only fifteen more minutes before, I would be walking down the aisle with my dad to meet the man I was going to marry. My dad still didn't tell me what he had planned, but then again, I didn't get much of a chance to talk to him privately.

While my mom helped me put on my veil, she whispered to me that Ryan had arrived with one of his brothers and was talking to my dad. Hearing that excited me and nervous, because I still didn't know how Mrs. Walton or Eric would react.

As the wedding coordinator herded the ladies and my mom out of the suite, to get them lined up for the procession, Mrs. Walton came in. "Ladies! You all look beautiful! And Vicky! You look absolutely radiant!"

If I wasn't already frozen by my nerves, I would have frozen at her presence. She had only stopped by the room a couple of times while I was changing, to be in a few pictures for the photographer, but she stayed away for the most part.

"Thank you, Donna." I smiled politely, turning away from the mirror to look at her. "You look beautiful too."

Though I didn't like her, I always admired her fashion sense. She was wearing an elegant, wisteria-shaded chiffon, tea-length "mother-of-the-bride" styled dress. It was a scoop-neck gown featuring beaded lace that cascaded from the neckline to the hips.

"Thank you so much. I was hoping I could have a private word with you for a moment." She smiled, her signature 'politician's  wife' smile.

My mother and Sasha were still standing just outside the doorway, peering at us. While Tracey and Ginny had already continued on their way with the coordinator. Sasha looked like she was trying to shoot flaming arrows out of her gaze. I smiled, loving that she and my mother wanted to stay and protect me.

"Sure," I agreed. I picked up my dress to avoid treading on it and walked past her to the door. I smiled at my mom and Sasha. "I'll be fine. Dad will be here soon."

They nodded, understanding I was strong and capable of handling whatever Mrs. Walton had to say. They left to meet up with the wedding coordinator, and I swung the door to close. Though, I made sure not to shut it entirely and left it open just a hair. I picked up my dress again and glided to the center of the suite.

Mrs. Walton was checking her appearance in the full-length mirror. "I really like this color that you picked for your wedding. I wouldn't have considered it myself, but seeing it on me and your bridal party, I can see its appeal."

I couldn't tell if she was complimenting my choice in color or not. "Thank you. I guess."

She turned her back to the mirror and faced me, still plastered with her politically perfect smile. "I won't keep you, I know you want the last few minutes to yourself. But I just wanted to remind you not to pull any shenanigans. I have confirmed it with my friends, who are currently on standby, waiting by your father's marina as we speak. If everything goes as it should, I will call them during the reception to let them know to leave your father's business alone.

"But, if the wedding doesn't go as expected, they will be all too happy to physically destroy the marina. Not only destroy it, but it will look like your father planned it, so his insurance won't pay him a dime in repairs."

I gulped at her threat. Hearing it like that made me terrified. What could my father possibly do to stop her and prevent this from happening?

Just then, there was a tap on the door, and my father pushed it open wide. "Donna!" He grinned. "There you are! The coordinator said you're needed for the procession to begin."

She smiled over my shoulder at him. "Thanks, Larry. I was just on my way." She looked back at me and gave me a 'don't-test-me' motherly look, but said nothing more.