52

The next two weeks practically skated past me. I was so busy working on the final blueprint drafts of Mr. Giam's project that I almost forgot about my last fitting appointment. Thankfully Sasha reminding me days before, the day of, and again at the end of the day.

My wedding was just eight days away! I was in the home stretch, and I still hadn't figured out a good plan to get out of the marriage, without contemplating all the things that could go wrong.

Sasha had come up with some good ideas though. My favorite one was calling the New York Times and giving them an exclusive scoop on how the Walton family was blackmailing me to marry Eric.

That one was still being considered, but I also questioned if they'd run it. Especially since I knew the Walton's had friends that worked there. They'd probably make sure it was buried and tell Mrs. Walton what I tried to do. Then my parents would lose their business and would most likely have to move out of the country entirely.

"It's no use, Sash," I said as we walked out of the bridal shop for the last time. This time, I was taking my perfectly fitted dress with me. "We just have to accept that no matter what, next Saturday, I'll become Mrs. Victoria Rae Walton."

She looped her arm in my free one and sighed. "Well, what does Ryan think of your plans to object? Does he have any suggestions?"

We walked down the busy streets towards the subway. The weather had been mild during the day, but now that it was night and the sun was gone, the chill in the air and the wind's force made me wish I hadn't worn a pencil skirt to work that day.

"He thinks most of them are way too complicated. He thinks I should just skip the wedding and run away with him until it all blows over."

"How romantic." Sasha fake swooned, resting the back of her hand on her forehead and tilting her head slightly. It made us both laugh as we descended the stairs to the subway. "Though that's not a terrible idea, either."

I nodded. "Trust me, I know. I seriously considered it. But if I ran away with him, then I'd be giving up my job too. And that is something I really don't want to do."

I lifted my bagged wedding dress up as we swiped our MetroCard and passed through the barriers. Even though I didn't want to marry Eric, I still loved the dress enough to not want anything to happen to it. Not to mention the amount I had to pay for it. I would have to wear it at least once a year for the next ten years until I felt that I wore it enough to consider it paid off.

"So," Sasha began as we stood on the platform waiting for our train. "Has Ryan even found a new job or anything?"

I shook my head. "No, he's been rethinking his interests and wants to make sure he does something he really loves."

Sasha's eyebrows raised. "Lucky! I wish I was rich enough to be indecisive about my job options."

"Me too."

"Well, you will be. When you get married to Eric."

I rolled my eyes as the train pulled into the station. "I guess that's the silver lining then for being trapped in a loveless marriage."

Sasha chuckled. "It could be worse. At least Eric isn't abusive, and you get to keep living in your apartment."

She had a point. I guess.

We boarded the train and headed back to my place for a girl's night in.

***********

The following Thursday was my last day of work before I would be off to begin the pre-wedding festivities. I spent the morning chained to my desk, with my office door closed, finishing up all the tasks that I knew I could. I made sure to forward everything else that had a deadline to Adam to help delegate who the duties were assigned to while I was out.