58

I was able to finally peer around my dad to see who else objected. My eyes widened in shock as I saw Mr. Walton.

He did not look happy in the slightest.

"Dad?" Eric asked, clearly confused as to why his own father was objecting to our wedding.

Mr. Walton walked in with the same power Ryan did, and everyone there parted to make way for him as he approached me. Ryan laced his hand with mine, reminding me that he was there for me.

"Vicky, I am deeply sorry for the pain my son and Donna caused you," he began. "I had no idea what they were doing until your father spoke with me about it last night."

Reverend Daniels cleared his throat to grab everyone's attention. "Ladies and gentlemen. To get through this process swiftly, I'd like to get to the matter at hand to see if we can proceed with this marriage or not." He scanned the faces of everyone. I could see him taking note of my hand laced with Ryan's while Eric stood off to the side, unaffected. "Mr. Ashcroft. As the father of the bride, will you kindly expand on your objection?"

My father nodded. "It was brought to my attention last night that my daughter was coerced by Donna into marrying Eric after she tried to end the relationship."

Reverend Daniels looked at me with deep concern. "Vicky, is this severe accusation true?"

Gripping Ryan's hand tighter, I nodded. "It is."

Mr. Walton turned to face Eric. "Explain yourself! Now!"

Eric looked to the ground. "When Vicky and I broke up the first time, I told mother about it. She insisted it would be bad for the family's reputation if the wedding was canceled. So she convinced me to get back with her. When Vicky ended it the second time, mother said it was too close to the day to allow that to happen. So she took matters into her own hands, and that's when she threatened Vicky that she'd ruin her career and her father's business if she didn't marry me."

Everyone stared at Eric and his father in silence for a minute. Mr. Walton looked mortified. Then he turned to me, softening his expression. "Vicky, I can assure you that nothing will happen to you, your career, or your father's marina. You do not have to marry my son today."

Tears started streaming down my face, unable to keep them bottled up any longer, no matter how hard I tried. Though they were tears of relief. I turned to Ryan and hugged him so tightly, which he responded with the same force.

"Well, I will announce to the congregation that the wedding has been canceled," Reverend Daniels said calmly.

"Actually," Ryan spoke up, separating from me. "We were hoping you'd marry us today instead."

He studied Ryan and me carefully. "While I could marry you under God's eyes, you would not be lawfully married unless you have a valid marriage license."

Ryan extended his hand to Adam, who pulled out a folded paper from his jacket pocket and gave it to his brother. "We have one."

He handed the paper to Reverend Daniels, who studied it carefully. Then he looked back up at us and scanned the group. "Well, this is new for me, for sure. Before we proceed back to the altar, I'll just ask the question now. Does anyone here object to the union of Ryan and Victoria? Or if any of you can show just cause why they may not lawfully be married, speak now, or else forever hold your peace."

No one spoke up or objected, not even Eric or his father. I wiped my tears and beamed at Ryan.

"Let's go get married." Ryan took my hand once again.

"But what about Mrs. Walton?" I asked, suddenly realizing she wasn't there with Eric or Mr. Walton. "What if she calls 'her people' when she sees us standing on the altar instead of me and Eric?"