Calling Mrs. Brock

Salem

Jake and I had just got off the flight that felt like forever. It seemed like I had held my breath the whole time, my chest tight as ever. I was nervous and sick to my stomach about the whole ordeal. What if he didn't want me to be here when he gets out?

"I'll call Sam's parents, can you call Colby's while we wait for the Uber?", the bags under his eyes were insanely noticeable, and I felt terrible for him. His two best friends are in jail and we have zero information on either.

I had never talked to Mrs. Brock either, I don't even think she knows who I am. Colby calls her almost every single day, if not more than once. She seems very sweet.

I stepped away from all the commotion when the phone begins ringing, and hold my breath. How was she gonna take a stranger telling her that her youngest son got arrested? Miles and miles away?

"Hello?", a light voice answers with a small sniffle. Was she crying? Did she already know?

"Uhm, Hi, Mrs. Brock? This is Salem, a friend of Sam, Colby and Jake's. Jake wanted me to call you.", my voice was shaky and I'm sure she could sense my anxiety all the way in Kansas.

The phone shuffles for a second, "Colby has told me all about you, dear. Is everything okay?"

my heart warms at the fact that Colby has talked about me to his mom, the most important person in his life but I can't stop the tears swell up in my eyes, because I don't have rhe heart to tell her. I hadn't even processed the whole situation, myself. How can I explain it to her?

"Uhm, I know this isn't really ideal for our first conversation together. But Jake is on the phone with Sam's parents and I just wanted you guys to know as well. After the plane landed this morning, the boys found a place to explore for their channel. I tried calling Colby multiple times after one of my shoots, and he didn't answer. I just now got to Florida, myself... Sam and Colby got arrested. I'm gonna bail them out tho, Jake and I are gonna take care of it."

Silence. Absolute silence. She didn't say anything for a good while, but immidiately starts panicking.

"Why? What did they do? Oh my god, are they okay? This is why I tell them not to go places where they don't research!".

I stay quiet and listen to her rant, answering as many of the questions as i possibly could before the Uber got to us.

"I don't want to make this call short, but our Uber is here and we are on our way to the jail now. I can call you back once I get information, if you want?"

"Please, Salem. Please keep me updated, I'm sorry that you got drug into this! He better love you forever after this, he owes you! We all owe you!"

A small chuckle falls from my mouth, lightening the mood. Jake furrows his eyebrows at me as he gets comfortable in the seat next to me.

"I will, I promise. I'll text you once I get there, and call once he's out, if he get's out. Nobody owes me anything, he's a good friend and I don't think any of us could go without him! I'll talk to you later, okay?".

Our phone call shortly wraps up and I throw my head back with a sigh, making conversation with the uber driver.

"Where y'all headed?", the woman in her mid 40's ask. She had sun kissed skin, and a perfect bun on her head. She was pretty to say the least. I hand her my phone with the address, in no mood to talk, but quicky apologize for being rude.

"You look tired, baby. Why don't you go ahead and rest that pretty head of yours, till we get there, yeah?", I blush and look at Jake making sure he's okay with it. The palm of his hand smacks softly against his jean covered thigh, signalling for me to lay on it. I take him up on his offer and drift off into a well needed, deep slumber for the next 45 minutes.

A small nudge on my shoulder wakes me up, and Jake's face comes into view above me. I completely forgot I had fell asleep on him.

"We are here. You ready?", I nod and pull out my wallet to give the sweet lady a tip. She had took time out of her day to drive us almost an hour away from the airport, so I greatly appreciated it.

She tries to protest but I stood my ground, "We really appreciate your time. You were really kind as well, it's the least I could do."

" I have some extra time if y'all wanna leave your bags in here, instead of leaving them outside. People are weird and thieves.", I take her up on the offer and leave our duffle bags in her car.

We didn't wanna risk getting in trouble for having our bags on us, because let's be real. Cops can be real dicks.

Jake tells her that he will come back if things are taking to long and pretty soon we are standing in front of the police station. 

He looks down at me through his thick lashes, shooting me a small smile before pulling me into a hug and kisses my forehead. We both inhale and exhale deeply, before pulling away. He opens the door and bows, making me laugh.

Thank God I have Jake as a friend. I love him. I couldn't do this alone.

------------------