Chapter 17 - Panic

You pull the car into the driveway, parking it in the garage. You and Minseok get out and sluggishly walk towards the house, feeling the effects of a night with no sleep. Minseok opens the front door and holds it for you. You walk inside and you're met with chaos.

     All fourteen men are scrambling about, making phone calls and yelling. At the sound of the front door, they all turn to stare at you and Minseok in the doorway.

     "What the fucking hell?! Where did you two fucking idiots go?! Why are you all wet?!" Junmyeon yells. "We've been worried fucking sick!"

     Dread sets in your chest and you lower your head, feeling awful you caused them worry. You didn't even leave a note so they knew you were okay, of course they were going to assume the worst. You search for Yixing in the crowd but you can't see him.

     "Junmyeon-" Minseok starts. Junmyeon's eyes are wild as if he's been scared half to death. He grabs you by the shoulders.

     "You're too much like her!" He exclaims, shaking you. "You're going to die like she did and I have no control over it! Please Y/N be smart!" Minseok pulls you forcefully from Junmyeon's grip. Your head is reeling. Her? What the fuck?

     "Junmyeon enough," Minseok orders.

     "I don't want to hear it. You guys look like you haven't slept in days, go to bed." He dismisses the both of you. You and Minseok scurry upstairs as if you're dejected dogs that just got scolded. His attitude changed faster than you could've comprehended.

     "Where do I even go? My room is being inhabited by Jaehyun and Mark," you whisper as you walk up the stairs. The two of you refuse to acknowledge what just happened.

     "Go to Yixing's. I'm sorry, this is my fault. I should've texted them," Minseok says. You pat his shoulder. "Are you okay?" He whispers

     "It's not your fault, I could've left a note." You ignore his question, shaken up. The two of you part ways and you enter Yixing's room. You remove his hoodie and set it gently on the chair in the corner before settling into bed and drifting off into a deep sleep.

     Your sleep is filled with fitful nightmares and unease. By the time you wake up you feel less tired but guilt weighs heavily upon your chest. You sit up, resting your head in your hands.

     "Y/N," that sweet voice says. You look up and see Yixing siting at the end of his bed.

     "Yixing," you answer.

    "Where were you? I drove all over Seoul looking for you... I thought... I thought your father had gotten you and I-" He stops abruptly, resting his head on his hands.

     Your heart breaks, "We were at my brother's grave. I'm so sorry I didn't mean to worry you I was just. I just wasn't thinking." Yixing climbs onto the bed and lays down beside you. He pulls you down and into his arms.

     "You scared me. Just be with me for a second," he whispers into your forehead. You cuddle closer, securing your head in the crook of his neck.

     "I never meant to worry any of you. I... I don't want to hurt you," You reply. His left arm's grip tightens on you and you wish his arm wasn't keeping you two further apart. "Junmyeon kind of sent me to my room like a kid," you admit.

     Yixing laughs, his chest rumbling with the sound. "You're family to us now, we all want to protect you. You may not see it yet but you're a part of us," Yixing says. "Junmyeon will apologize for treating you like a kid."

     "He doesn't need to apologize, he did nothing wrong," you assert. "I'm still technically a teenager." Yixing laughs.

     The two of you lay in a warm silence for a while, both of you content to be wrapped up into each other's embrace. After a while, you decide you have to get up and properly apologize to everyone. You and Yixing exit his room and walk downstairs into the living room. Junmyeon is sitting on the couch, tapping away at his phone.

    His eyes snap up and sadness is evident in them. He pats the spot next to him and you hesitate. You can feel Yixing beside you urge you forward, ignorant as to what Junmyeon said a few hours prior.

     "Y/N I'm sorry about my outburst. I shouldn't have laid a hand on you like that," he says. Yixing tenses beside you.

     "What did you do?" He snarls.

     "I'm fine, you didn't hurt me. You just shocked me, that's it," you say, holding your ground between the two. "I scared you badly enough, you don't have to apologize."

     "Y/N... you remind me of my little sister," he says. "I don't wish to delve into the topic any further at this moment in time but I do promise I will open up eventually. When I had my... outburst, I was just having an intense flashback to what happened to her. I'm sorry."

     "It's alright," you assure him, grabbing his hand. "Getting grabbed by the shoulders doesn't scare me, I've lived through much worse. I know none of you would ever hurt me."

     "You've had to open up about your past to us for us to even trust you," Junmyeon starts. "If there's ever anything you want to know about any of us, feel free to ask. No one really hides what went on in our pasts. Kyungsoo will probably be the hardest person to get to talk, but he will if he trusts you enough. I feel like many of them are going to start opening up on their own."

     "I appreciate that," you say.

     "Y/N I think the others are in the back yard. If you wish to apologize to them too, you can go ahead," Yixing says. By the tone of his voice you can tell he needs you to leave. You shoot an apologetic look at Junmyeon and exit the room.

     "Why the hell would you touch her!" Yixing yells as you round the corner. You want to go back and tell him to stop but you dare not interfere. You know they'll talk it out better without you hanging around.

     You do as Yixing said and go into the backyard. However only Jongin and Sehun and out there. Sehun is swimming in the in-ground pool you had no idea was out there while Jongin sits on the edge with his legs in. At the sound of the door, Jongin turns.

     "Hey Y/N! Come on over," he says, waving his hand haphazardly at you. You walk over, sitting beside him and putting your legs in the water. It's a little cold but no where as bad as you expected it to be.

     "Where's Yixing? He's usually following you around like a lost puppy," Jongin jokes, nudging your shoulder.

     "He's arguing with Junmyeon," you reply. "Yixing is angry because Junmyeon grabbed me."

     Jongin shrugs, "I mean rightfully so. I was even angry that he grabbed you like that. You're okay?"

     You nod, "Of course. I'm not hurt by any stretch, he just surprised me." Sehun clambers onto a floaty toy.

     "Junmyeon wouldn't ever hurt you, I hope you know that. He's just come from a rough place and his whole life has protected all of us. You're no exception now, he sees you as his family and he'll do anything for us. I mean that sincerely, he'd take a bullet for any of us," Sehun says. "Toss my my sunglasses?" He asks Jongin.

     Jongin throws him a pair of sunglasses and Sehun easily catches them in one hand. He perches them on his nose and relaxes. "Thanks."

     "I had no idea there was a fucking pool out here," you say. Jongin laughs.

     "It's pretty sick," he replies. "It sucks during winter that we can't use it but summer is always the best."

     "I forget sometimes that even though any of you could kill someone with ease that you're normal people," you say. Sehun laughs this time.

     "A lot of people have the misconception that we just kill people. The only time any of us have had to actually kill someone it was a life or death situation," Sehun says. "If it's not absolutely necessary, we don't do it."

     You wish your family would've been like that.