Chapter 20 - Tension

The week passes very quickly and you find yourself becoming very close to the men you now live with. Yixing is pretending that his small "I'm going to shove you against the wall and kiss you until you don't know what your name is" moment didn't happen. To be honest you're okay with that, you don't really want to deal with the implications that come along with it.

     You're apprehensive about the race. The entire week you've been going into fields and sparsely populated areas to rip around and get used to the feeling of this car. If you lose, your entire reputation is gone and beyond that you're letting down the people you care about. You know they would never inflict harm upon you or abandon you because you lost.

     Yixing keeps insisting that no matter what happens today you're place with EXO is solidified. His words encourage you to do better, no matter how stable your home life is you have to win this for them. If the first time you're not racing to save your own skin you lose, it's going to make you feel like shit.

     Yixing sits beside you calmly as you drive to the spot of the race. The night is pitch black, perfect for racing. Both competitors have to bet a minimum of 300,000,000 won, and usually whoever you're racing against won't bet more than that. Some cocky ones will put down the papers to their cars. You just end up taking home two cars in that case.

     "Y/N, you won't get hurt, right?" Yixing asks. You look from the road to him quickly and then back. His brows are wrinkled in concentration, his eyes sharp.

     "Probably not. I've been doing this for years and I've never gotten into an accident before," You say. "The closet I've come to getting into a crash was when an asshole cheated and tried to flip my car by skimming the back end of my car."

     "Were you scared?" Minseok asks from the backseat.

     "No, I knew I'd be better to crash than lose," You reply. "I'm nervous driving with this car today, I hope I know it well enough."

     "Is it very different from your old mustang?" Yixing inquires.

     You shake your head, "It's surprisingly similar. The transmission is way better, when I switch gears it transitions a lot smoother and faster."

     Baekhyun chimes in, "We asked Zico whether your old mustang was manual or not because we didn't want to get you the wrong car."

     "Most cars for racing are manual right now," you reply. "But automatic cars are gaining popularity because they're so much more advanced than they used to be so they don't slow you down like they used to."

     You deep down hope that the race today will be easy. You don't want to feel like you're going to disappoint everyone. You've never really wanted an easy race before, but today you just wish for an inexperienced opponent.

     "So how do these things really work?" Baekhyun asks.

     "Basically there's a road that goes around the outskirts of Seoul and back around barely inside the city. It makes a perfect racetrack, it takes about 25 minutes to drive completely at high speeds. It doesn't have any traffic lights or people using it. Sometimes we have to dodge a couple cars but most of the time it's deserted. The police are aware for the most part but since we are not really hurting anyone innocent they turn a little bit of a blind eye. I know one day they're going to go in hard on it and do a giant bust but I think we have a good bit of time before anything rash happens."

     "If you drive away from the spectators, why didn't you just run away from your family in the middle of a race?" Jongin, who's been silent until now, asks.