29.

Blair had passed her apparition test before the end of her sixth year. They had practiced all year and she had thankfully had her birthday in time to take the test before she'd leave for the holidays. But since then, she hadn't tried to spell again. So when she side-apparated with Professor Dumbledore, the nausea returned to her insides and she could barely see straight. She was able to hold in the sick that bubbled in her stomach, but lost her footing and had to sit down for a moment before walking again.

"Take all the time you need. We're in no rush," he had said as she sat down on the edge of the curb, squeezing her eyes shut to will the nausea away.

The street they had appeared on wasn't any different from the others that dotted around London. It had a block of flats that stretched from one end to the other and had multiple cars parked out front that lined the curbs. A sign sat in front of the gate that surrounded the building that said 'Grimmauld Place'. Blair had never heard of the street before but trusted Professor Dumbledore, who insisted that those who were offering her a home were real and content with her staying with them.

Miss Wool had barely looked at them as she and the Professor walked out of the orphanage. She had looked at the trunk that was being pulled by Blair and cringed at the sight of Jasper walking freely next to Dumbledore's robe-covered legs. It was as if the woman didn't want to believe that someone as oddly dressed as Professor Dumbledore was there, making her turn a blind eye to Blair walking out with all her belongings and a cat she had never seen before. Blair didn't say goodbye to any of the other children as she had made no friends at the place. It was like walking out of a public building of which she had never seen or spoken to anyone inside before. It was odd to think that she had spent her whole life there, yet could leave without any emotional attachments or difficult farewells.

"I would have come to transport you sooner, but I'm sure you can imagine how busy I have been lately," Dumbledore stated but barely turned to look at Blair as she finally stood up from the curb with a less green tinge to her skin.

"I can imagine," she agreed, stepping to be beside the Professor. "So which one is it?"

"None of them."

"Oh."

The man had surely gone mad for good.

After a while of staring stupidly at the flats, numbers' eleven and thirteen began to pull apart. Blair's mouth fell open as another window appeared and a door spurted from within the brickwork, displaying the number twelve in metal numbering. The Muggles who were in the flats either side of number twelve didn't seem to feel or see the whole new flat that had appeared from within. It was an amazing bit of magic and Professor Dumbledore smiled down at Blair, seeing her shocked expression.

"In you go, then," he cheered and reached down to Jasper, giving him one last pet. Jasper purred in delight before Dumbledore disappeared in a small whirlwind, leaving a soft 'pop!' behind.

Blair huffed lightly and started to pull her trunk across the street and up on to the path. Jasper padded along beside her and followed her up to the front door, waiting as she went to knock on the dark green wood. She raised her fist but Jasper had other ideas, walking forward and pushing the door open with only the force of his head. She then realised that the door had only been on its latch, letting it swing open once the cat and slithered through the crack that had first formed. Blair looked left and right to see if any of the building's occupants were watching her enter the new flat, before hurrying inside when she saw the coast was clear.

Putting her trunk against the wall, she shut the door behind her and made sure the latch had closed. Jasper hopped up onto the hallway table that sat up against the wall, waiting for Blair to move further from the door and journey down the rest of the hallway. She looked up and noticed a chandelier hanging from the ceiling that was in need of a dusting and intense clean. Spider webs strung from each corner and grime could be seen sinking into the dark purple wallpaper that lined the walls. The hallway was gloomy and dark, making Blair feel like she had just walked into her own closet (minus the unsanitary additions to the room). No candles had been lit and the chandelier hadn't been turned on, leaving her immersed in darkness.