39.

Mina told Blair that the first Ravenclaw Quidditch practice would be held on Friday evening. The first practice would be tryouts for those wanting to take the spaces free in the team, before then going on to whatever Roger Davies, the Ravenclaw captain, had planned. Blair was excited to get back into the swing of Quidditch and start competing again, as she had the feeling she wouldn't be playing it again after leaving Hogwarts. Unless she would become a professional Quidditch player, and that was unlikely, she'd probably sell her broom to some other aspiring player to use.

After dinner in the Great Hall, Blair retired to the Ravenclaw common room and was dreading her first patrol as Head Girl. She had been instructed by Professor Flitwick to head towards Dumbledore's office once curfew had commenced to receive the information she and the Head Boy would need to complete their patrol for the night. She hoped that Professor Dumbledore would see her pleading eyes and decide to split her and Fletcher up, giving them different sections to patrol for the night. But she had heard that was highly unlikely, as the point of being in the positions of Head Boy and Girl was to work as a team and show initiative.

"Watch out for Peeves. He's heard about you and Potts being given Head Girl and Boy," Poppy warned while lounging in the common room, fifteen minutes before the start of curfew.

"Do you get tomorrow's first period off at least?" Nancy questioned. "I'm sure you'll be exhausted."

"I have a free period anyway because I dropped Divination anyway," she answered. "But if I didn't, we don't get any lee way."

"That sucks. What's the point, then? To tell your future employer 'I used to be Head Girl back in high school!'?" Poppy shook her head with a sigh. The job did sound like quite the gimmick and Blair still wasn't sure why she was chosen in the first place. She was too afraid to question Professor Dumbledore but she was sure Fletcher would find it within himself to doubt the man soon enough.

"You better start heading off," Mina gestured her head towards the exit of the common room. "Don't want to be late for your night of agony."

Blair sighed and stood from the armchair, ensuring her badge was pinned to her robes as she bid the three goodnight while heading towards the hallway. She exited the common room and made her way down the spiral staircase, which was only lit by the torches lining the wall that descended down to the floor. She had half a mind to bring Jasper along in hopes of having someone to distract her from the boy who was bound to be pain in the neck throughout the whole night, but she thought that might not sit well with Professor Dumbledore on her first night of patrolling. Plus, she wasn't sure if Jasper got along with Mrs Norris or not.

Heading along the corridors, her mind drifted back to yesterday before leaving on the Hogwarts Express. She remembered the warm farewell she received from Mrs Weasley when she and the twins appeared on the platform and the merry wave she gave not only the Weasley, but Remus Lupin and Nymphadora Tonks. The image of the two Order members made Blair think of the Order of the Phoenix and their surveillance of anything that could be a sign of You Know Who's appearance. She was yearning to know more about what was going on inside the Ministry to cause the cover up of the events and what sort of missions the Order have been doing in order to keep those who were oblivious safe and unharmed. It sounded amazing to be doing things that actually mattered in the Wizarding world and not being stuck at Hogwarts reading Ministry-approved children's books all day.

"I've never seen you so thoughtful before, Rosier," she was pulled harshly from her thoughts by Fletcher's obnoxious voice entering through her ears. The thoughts of the Order and things that were important suddenly swirled together in her mind and faded, only leaving irritation and the returning dread she felt for having to spend the night with the smirking Slytherin.