Chapter 1 - Welcome To America

"Did you land safely?"

"Yes, Dad."

"Are you okay?

"Yes, Dad."

"Did you need me to send anything to you?"

"No Dad."

"Alright, I'll call you after your first shift on Monday."

"Alright, love you Dad."

"I love you, Celia, you be careful alright?"

Typical father. I landed only a few minutes ago and he calls me right now as if he's been tracking my flight for the full 21 hours. I've never been on an international flight without him, he's always been next to me, even on domestic flights. I haven't even been in New Jersey for 10 minutes and he's practically terrified.

My name is Felicia Jane Porter. I was born and raised in Canberra, Australia. The capital of the entire country yet no one seems to know Canberra exists but I guess I always liked it that way. Canberra isn't quiet but compared to its fellow cities it sits between, Melbourne and Sydney, it's small enough for you to know at least 75% of people that live here. I guess I liked being part of a place like that but Canberra is past me now. I'm starting a new life here in America and I couldn't be more excited and terrified at the same time.

Previously I was a Medical Receptionist at a clinic called the 'Ginninderra Medical and Dental Centre', a practice with extensive resources that smaller practices typically don't have. Diagnostic imaging, pathology, allied health, and an inbuilt pharmacy along with regular general practitioners and even some dentists. Two of these clinic types existed back home. This one sat up north while there was the Phillip Medical and Dental Centre closer to the south. It really gives you an image of how Canberra isn't very big.

Now I'm here to do the exact same thing but instead of working in a medical centre, I'm working in a hospital. The Overlook Hospital to be exact. I've never worked in a hospital before, only practices for family medicine and maybe one radiology admin job way back when. You can bet that I am so terrified but I have all weekend to overthink it, it's a Friday night and I'm going to relax and enjoy my first few hours in a whole new country.

I buy an uber to my brand new apartment. I shouldn't be so scared to see it, I had to fly over here to buy the place, I've seen it before but I guess living in it for the first time is what's getting my heart racing. I was quiet for the entire ride but the driver clearly didn't mind, he has a busy night ahead of him I bet.

I quickly walked to the empty elevator, eager to chill in my brand new home. After reaching my floor and fumbling with my keys, I finally walked into the place where I will live, breath and eat for who knows how long? Hopefully a while. I dropped my bags into my bedroom and plopped down on my new, soft bed.

"Today is a new beginning. Let's fucking do it." I sighed to myself. 

I jumped up quickly, raced to grab my keys and my wallet, heading out to find a liquor store close by. I can't just arrive at my new place without celebrating. I'm gonna drink, watch Chicago Med and have a freaking nice long bath. Sitting on an hour flight from Canberra to Sydney then on a 21-hour flight from Sydney to here, oh boy, my back is killing me, I need that bath.

I walk into the liquor store, not exactly confident because I've already forgotten that this isn't Australia, I might not be so lucky to find a case of Carlton Dry or Wild Yak. I walk down the aisles of the store, looking at all the grog in front of me. It wasn't long till I decided on a bottle of champagne, to be simple.

"Just the champagne, sweetheart? What are you celebrating?" The youngish looking woman working the counter asked while smiling gently. 

"Just moved here. New job, new place and hopefully new me." I smiled back, pulling out my card to pay for the bottle.

"Sounds wonderful, have a drink for me, love." She smiled wider as she processed my payment. I waved at her as I left the store. I then hurried back to my apartment to pour myself a glass of pure, sweet bubbles.

"Cheers to you and cheers to me." I giggled lightly, raising my glass to my new place before taking a long sip.