Chapter 12 - Date Night

"Q8H is every eight hours..."

"TIA stands for Transient Ischaemic Attack often referred to as a mini-stroke..."

"INR's are to be ordered on warfarin users..."

"Haemochromatosis is excessive iron levels..."

I was at home, staring at my laptop. Reading some of my medical terminology notes that I saved from back when I just started my administration course. I have been a medical admin for several years but I always worry that my terminology might get rusty so when I have free time, I often like to go over them. Especially when I'm alone so I can read them out loud. I use to get so much shit for not saying things correctly.

"Angiogram is the imaging of blood vessels..."

"Encephalitis is the inflammation of the brain..."

A knock on the door suddenly sounds in the somewhat quiet apartment.

"Door knocking is the cause of my headaches...." I sighed and chuckled to myself, getting up from the table and opening the door to see a dressed up Mike standing behind it. A maroon suit with a subtle black turtleneck sitting underneath his suit jacket, perfectly paired with brown shoes. 

"Oooh someone's looking all fancy." I smiled up at him.

"I know right? You look incredible." He smiled, walking into the apartment, laying a soft kiss on my lips.

"Why thank you, these are designer. Ever heard of Big W?" I giggled, mockingly posing in my wrinkly old pyjamas and messy, greasy hair.

"An Australian 'designer'? How obscure of you." He chuckled, slithering his arms around my waist.

"So, what has prompted you to come see me in such attire?" I poked his cheek and smiled once again.

"I want to take you on a date." His soft eyes locking with mine, making me absolutely melt.

"A real date? Like right now? Gee, I'm not quite dressed up for that, honey." 

"Don't worry, I made a reservation, you have plenty of time to get ready." 

"Reservation? Care to tell me where we are going?" I raised my eyebrow at him with a curious look.

"Just this restaurant I've been wanting to take you to. Have you been working on something?" He asked as he noticed the glowing laptop on the table.

"Just going over some med term for work, I try to study bits of it so I don't forget."

He walked over to the laptop and skimmed some of the notes.

"You've listed an EKG as an ECG." He corrected.

"An EKG?" I asked.

"Electrocardiogram. EKG." 

"You mean an ECG?" I asked, laughing lightly as I got more confused.

"ECG?" Mike asked, beginning to laugh as he noticed the confusion in my face.

"In Australia, we call electrocardiograms ECG's. I didn't realise it was different here. No wonder everyone has been saying EKG when referring to electrocardiography. I just thought I needed hearing aids." 

"You learn something new every day. Now c'mon, let's get you ready." He smiled, his arms returning around me.

"Oooh, are you gonna help me shower?" I looked up and winked at him.

"Oh, as tempting as that sounds, I don't wanna get wet." He chuckled, planting a kiss on my nose.

"Fair enough. I'll be quick." I grinned happily as I rushed off to get ready. I had a steaming hot shower before drying off and dashing to my closet to decide on clothes. I haven't gotten the chance to buy any new formal clothes recently but I hoped I could find something nice. After what felt like forever of searching, I decided there was nothing wrong with a trusty black dress. I pulled out my black turtleneck bodycon dress and smile at it.