Chapter 13 - Nations Capital

"Mike, I've had a think about your offer."

"And? What's your verdict?"

"Call your supervisor. Tell them you'll be taking holidays in 2 months."

I clutched my handbag as I stood at the baggage claim at the Sydney International Airport. I am exhausted. We have one more flight and then we can finally sleep. As I saw my luggage on the belt, I grabbed the suitcase and planted it on the floor. Pulling on the handle, I walked back over to Mike who had already claimed his luggage from the belt.

"Let's go to the gate. I can't wait to have a nap on the plane." I chuckled, tiredly. I am so lethargic. Jet lag is a real thing. Mike nodded and grabbed his bags, we walked through the airport to the departure gate, I sat down in the chairs with a sigh and a yawn.

"First things first, we're getting coffee as soon as we land." Mike yawned loudly.

"Absolutely. I would love to have some authentic coffee, not watered down dirt." I smiled cheekily. Mike threw his arm around my shoulders and gave me a small kiss. We chatted amongst ourselves for a while before a relieving announcement was made over the P.A.

Qantas Flight 283 to Canberra International Airport is now boarding.

We grabbed our bags and headed off into the gate to board. As we found our seats on the plane and sat down, the same ol' safety presentation began. After we heard this for what felt like the millionth time in the past 48 hours, we sat back and relaxed in the somewhat comfortable chairs.

"If Canberra's airport is international, why can't we fly straight there from LA?" Mike asked.

"The airport can't accommodate. They only fly out to a certain number of other countries but they're not very versatile. Either way, they have to call it an international airport by law because well... It technically is." I shrugged. Mike nodded and smiled.

"I'm excited to see what Canberra is like."

The flight was very quick. Only an hour to and from Sydney. A nice change of pace indeed but I was impatient to land. As the plane landed on the runway, the pilot announced that we touched down.

Ladies and Gentleman, thank you for flying with Qantas Australia Airlines. We welcome you to Canberra, our nation's esteemed capital. We hope you enjoyed your trip!

(Here's a picture of my lovely city lol)

Home sweet home. I didn't expect to be back so soon but under the circumstances, it's great to be here. Mike and I got off the plane and into the airport. I grabbed Mike's hand and pulled him toward one of the souvenir shops in the airport.

"We have to take something for when we go back home in a couple weeks. Let's have a look!" I giggled, not letting go of Mike's hand. He just smiled with admiration. We strolled around the shop, looking at all the t-shirts, toys and flags. I picked up a stuffed kangaroo with a smile.